++Emergency++ Start vito without key, have fob - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-21-2014, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
++Emergency++ Start vito without key, have fob

Hi, I lost my 2002 vito key while hiking today. I am stuck miles from anywhere and I need to get to an airport that is 3hrs away to catch a flight!

I managed to break into the car and I have the key fob ( the key broke away from the fob yesterday ). I've dismantled the steering column to access the ignition switch. Can I hotwire it (i can't find wiring diagrams online) or can I jam a screwdriver in the ignition key slot and operate it?

I've climbed a mountain to get service so speedy replies will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-21-2014, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Emergency situation now cancelled.

For future reference for anyone that gets stuck like I did, here's what I had to do to get it started:

1. Break into car. I wedged the passenger door open at top right corner and used fencing wire to hook the drivers door handle open.

2. Look for the key again before doing anything to the car, thinking that trying to hotwire a computer controlled vehicle may cause irreparable damage

3. Climbed a hill to get phone reception and try get wiring schematics (no luck)

4. Pull the steering column apart to gain access to the ignition key assembly.

5. Used multimeter to check which terminals had power. Also checked dead terminals to earth to make sure none were ground terminals.

6. Made a jumper wire then bridged the constant key power positive to each other terminal to see what did what. From this I worked out the order the terminals would be powered up if using a key normally.

7. After many methods and attempts, I got a temporary connection to the correct wires. I then held the key fob (I had the fob, the key had broken out of it yesterday) and made a connection to the start wire. Hooray, it worked. Put it in gear, go to take off, [email protected]#ing steering lock is on.

8. Turn the engine off and look for key again.

9. Have good long hard think about what to do. Options included walking 20k's to a highway and try and get a lift, but that highway can go a long time without traffic, especially late at night.

10. Look for the keys.

11. Bit the bullet and decided, having no other option I could see, to break the key mechanism off the steering column. This thing was probably put on by a robot, had permanent 3/8" rivets, steel clamp and cast aluminium body. I used a battery drill to drill a series of holes to make a weak point, then a hammer and socket extension to smack the crap out of it. That worked.

12. Try to ignore the thought that this is going to cost a bucketload to get fixed.

13. Tie the key mech in a position where it won't accidently engage and send me into a tree or a road train.

14. Start car again.

15. Drive 3hrs to the airport, constantly checking the key mech is secure.

I wouldn't recommend doing the above at all,except under extreme circumstances.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-22-2014, 04:14 AM
R.I.P Always Remembered

Vehicle: Zotye 1.5T 2016 model
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Now you know how important it is to have a spare key

ERIC

post #4 of 4 Old 09-22-2014, 06:21 PM Thread Starter