99 c280 moonroof cover repair? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 05-29-2018, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
99 c280 moonroof cover repair?

My husband bought a 99' C280 this weekend that is in great shape except the moonroof "cover" (think that's what it's called- the upholstered part that slides to uncover or cover the moonroof). The fabric seems to have pulled out from where it was attached to the little "vents" on one side. From my research it seems the glass and possibly the whole roof liner would need to be torn out to properly fix it, and we really don't want to pay to have that done on such an old car. I tried to use clear packing tape I had on hand to tape it, but it didn't want to stick for some reason. Perhaps a more "heavy duty" tape? I also thought about glue, but I think it would start sagging again before the glue dried and would create an even bigger problem, but there may be a glue I'm not aware of that would work. What about double sided mounting tape and adhere it from underneath? Any ideas on a DIY solution to this problem that doesn't involve professional/complex repairs? Doesn't need to look perfect, just good enough and make the cover functional again (right now you can't slide it without catching the sagging fabric). Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-01-2018, 08:40 PM

Vehicle: 1993 300 SL 1994 S420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have same problem on my 94 S420 and am thinking about trying some of the plastic flexible edging google plastic flexible edging brings up all kinds of photos of the stuff . all sizes and colors ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > DIY/Tech Help