post #1 of 5 Old 06-05-2018, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Vehicle: E350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mercedes E350 Problems

Hello . I have a 2006 E350 .
I have had this car to 4 mechanics and still no one can tell me what the actual problem is. When the car gets put in park after driving, It starts to rev up to about 2500 rpm . If you put it in reverse and back into park it stops. Engine light is on and the code it threw was lean1& lean2 but when driving seems to run ok. Mechanics thought it was the intake but the a Mercedes mechanic came to the shop it was in cleared the codes and said it wasn't the intake , he said maybe an actuator. . But still no definite answer . The engine light comes back on after it was cleared after about 60 km driving. Was wondering if anyone else has had the same problems . Also i have a static sound coming out of the speakers even the when car is off and the keys are out . Sometimes it stops sometimes it get real bad popping and crackling through the speakers. Has anyone had this problem . I just want to get my car fixed ...
Thank you ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-09-2018, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 pano top, 2005 ML270cdi.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
The first problem could be a bad or intermittent MAF (mass airflow sensor).

Re. the popping speakers, is this an aftermarket sound system, or the original installed MB system that may have been altered?

No trees were harmed creating this message, however some electrons were very inconvenienced.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-24-2019, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No disrespect to RedLiner, but from experience everyone and the dealers say everything is the MAF, even when your muffler bearings are worn out. I've never had a bad one, and once I actually changed mine in front of the MB service manager because he insisted that was my mystery problem (mine would die when put in gear, when cold). I did that b/c I wasn't paying him hundreds to replace something not broke, I was only there b/c I had failed and hoped the experts with all that equip would succeed, but nobody ever figured it out.
So I would say go ahead and try it but I'm guessing each of the four mechs already did? Not that I'm a master mech but so far any eng issues I've had couldn't tell the difference between R and D, nor P and N so are sure it's only R or does a trip to D also solve it?
So I'm leaning toward a computer issue, most likely that it's being fed bad info from some failing device. If it were some device that knows D is not R I'd be surprised. I guess I'd see how that gear shift trick is making it work, like I could trick my aforementioned mystery prob too but it took some time to figure out. Like how long does it need to be in gear, like do the clutches need to engage and drag rpm down? Does eng or ambient temp matter?
This is just the stuff I'd do to narrow down the prob so hopefully something will become more obvious.
The speaker noise is weird but I have one thought: I had an ML55 that made a random weird and very annoying noise when off, and while I can't recall for certan if it was thru the speakers, it must have b/c it was not easy to find the source and a loud fan is easy. It ended up being a little tiny cooling fan in the eng compartment all the way back on left side. It was in the very bottom of a big black, and deep, plastic box and I had to pull out all the electronics (computers?) inside to reach this F'er. Things like worn brushes on a fan can cause inconsistent and annoying RF noise, and since my fan was running with the car off it fits as a possible match to your prob. Your car will be different than an ML of course but it may have some random (dying) fan hidden away somewhere.
Outside that I guess I'd start by pulling the fuse or unplugging the stereo to ensure it's actually off. I'm certain the sound will vanish at that point, so then you'd have to figure out wth is feeding the stereo such a noise. I wonder about something that can chime in to that sys could cause it. Meaning things like your speaker phone connection or who knows what else. If say the stereo stays powered so you can continue talking after the car is off then maybe whatever electronics make that happen is failing and transmitting its death throes to the speakers. Just guesses but fyi...

post #4 of 5 Old 01-25-2019, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 pano top, 2005 ML270cdi.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota View Post
No disrespect to RedLiner, but from experience everyone and the dealers say everything is the MAF, even when your muffler bearings are worn out. I've never had a bad one, and once I actually changed mine in front of the MB service manager because he insisted that was my mystery problem (mine would die when put in gear, when cold). I did that b/c I wasn't paying him hundreds to replace something not broke, I was only there b/c I had failed and hoped the experts with all that equip would succeed, but nobody ever figured it out.
So I would say go ahead and try it but I'm guessing each of the four mechs already did? Not that I'm a master mech but so far any eng issues I've had couldn't tell the difference between R and D, nor P and N so are sure it's only R or does a trip to D also solve it?
So I'm leaning toward a computer issue, most likely that it's being fed bad info from some failing device. If it were some device that knows D is not R I'd be surprised. I guess I'd see how that gear shift trick is making it work, like I could trick my aforementioned mystery prob too but it took some time to figure out. Like how long does it need to be in gear, like do the clutches need to engage and drag rpm down? Does eng or ambient temp matter?
This is just the stuff I'd do to narrow down the prob so hopefully something will become more obvious.
The speaker noise is weird but I have one thought: I had an ML55 that made a random weird and very annoying noise when off, and while I can't recall for certan if it was thru the speakers, it must have b/c it was not easy to find the source and a loud fan is easy. It ended up being a little tiny cooling fan in the eng compartment all the way back on left side. It was in the very bottom of a big black, and deep, plastic box and I had to pull out all the electronics (computers?) inside to reach this F'er. Things like worn brushes on a fan can cause inconsistent and annoying RF noise, and since my fan was running with the car off it fits as a possible match to your prob. Your car will be different than an ML of course but it may have some random (dying) fan hidden away somewhere.
Outside that I guess I'd start by pulling the fuse or unplugging the stereo to ensure it's actually off. I'm certain the sound will vanish at that point, so then you'd have to figure out wth is feeding the stereo such a noise. I wonder about something that can chime in to that sys could cause it. Meaning things like your speaker phone connection or who knows what else. If say the stereo stays powered so you can continue talking after the car is off then maybe whatever electronics make that happen is failing and transmitting its death throes to the speakers. Just guesses but fyi...
Many thanks for your detailed and helpful reply, it's a pity that the original poster did not come back with what the faults mentioned turned out to be!

I only mentioned the possibility of a MAF sensor because I had similar problems with my 1993 SL500. I did not replace it but very carefully cleaned the element by squirting 96º alcohol at it which actually solved the issue.
One thing about MAFs is not to get any silicone based products anywhere near them such as WD40 or engine bay cleaners.

No trees were harmed creating this message, however some electrons were very inconvenienced.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-25-2019, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used trichloroethane brake cleaner, which was banned, then found it in elect motor cleaner but I believe that's banned too. So now I need a replacement. It's not specifically silicone that's the problem, but anything that leaves any residue that'll upset it's reading. General residue that gets past filters, or filters like K&N that make residue, and gas and oil fumes that migrate back when the eng is off are all a problem. I'd imagine the eng simply inhaling nasty diesel exhaust or some pos oil burning cars ex could foul it too. I always run K&N filters, plus my city is dirty so I spray the sensor now and then as maintenance. I also use it to spray friends cars that have, or not yet have, a possible maf issue. Makes me think they should come with a special port to spray cleaner into to make it easier, but that would cut into service profits...
My last car I discovered, by chance, it had the same maf as a certain VW. When labeled for the VW it was like $25, but the MB dealer wanted hundreds. That VW part was the spare I used to swap in whenever I wanted to verify it whatever prob was not the maf.
I have some some fancy new "legal" (read; expensive) electrical contact cleaner that should work, but I think I may use soap and water since I now have super pure water to rinse it off with. An RO filter with DI after it that makes virtually pure water (<1ppm), which I also use for spot free car washes.
Yes I wish he posted codes too, and I hope he posts after it's fixed (if ever) b/c I like finding out what caused the prob and what the fix is. Usually people never follow up with that info...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > DIY/Tech Help