Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzforum.com/forum/)
-   General Mercedes-Benz (https://www.benzforum.com/forum/general-mercedes-benz/)
-   -   2006 CLK350 AUDIO SYSTEM IMPROVEMENT?? (https://www.benzforum.com/forum/general-mercedes-benz/11914-2006-clk350-audio-system-improvement.html)

henryeng 05-27-2006 03:44 PM

2006 CLK350 AUDIO SYSTEM IMPROVEMENT??

I have a 2006 CLK350. IMHO, the audio quality is mediocre! There's not enough 'top end'...sound is muffled and muddy. Increasing the "treble" just makes it worse...harsh and shrill. Has anyone upgraded this (Harmon-Kardon) stereo system? I've been told that the speakers are optically conntected, with makes it almost impossible to simply replace speakers. (I suspect each speaker has it's own integrated amplifier, though I'm not sure.) Are there any options for improving the sound system?

henryeng 05-27-2006 04:29 PM

CLK350 sound system

I'm replying to my own post! Actually...I did some fine-tuning of the system and made some improvement. (On this system...unlike some other cars...when you set the 'fader' towards "rear", the tweeter output is reduced! No wonder it didn't have enough high end!)

clk501 05-29-2006 01:28 PM

Yeah,
so i just bought a clk 500 cabriolet, love the car however the sound system lacks the punch i'm used to.
if you have any more tips or new developments let me know.
i am going to the sound system man i town to see what he can do to help me, i'll let you know how that works out
chaio

henryeng 06-13-2006 05:54 PM

CLK 350 / 500 audio system improvement

Here's what I've found so far: we're stuck with the lousy sound system. Since 2006, the sound system is wired using fiber optic cable, which suggests that each speaker is actually a speaker/amplifier unit. The speakers themselves are probably not replaceable...so we're stuck with the factory system. My gripe is that the overall sound has too much mid-range, not enough "top-end". Sounds harsh, shrill...not at all "hi fi".

Oh well.....I guess I'll live with it for the next 39 months!

henryeng 06-21-2006 12:49 PM

CLK Audio System improvement....for free!

Here's a simple and free way to really improve the audio quality on the 2006 CLK. The problem of excess midrange (harsh, shrill sound) is caused by the 3" midrange speaker in the center of the dashboard! The solution: disconnect it! Get a "tongue depressor" or popsicle stick, and pry up the grill that covers the center dash speaker. There are two pair of wires that connect to the speaker; just unplug both of them, and re-seat the grill.

The improvement is dramatic. You can actually hear highs from the tweeters. Setting the bass, treble, etc. is subjective, but I set mine as follows: bass to "0"; treble to "+3"; system in "Standard" mode.

A huge improvement, for zero cost!