LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-03-2011, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
NewB Looking for Info On C240

Hello all,

I'm a 25 year old from Pittsburgh, PA and looking for some information on a MB that i'm looking to maybe purchase. I'm in the market for a early 2000's luxury car, most likely with higher miles (90K - 130K) ... I'm looking at BMW, MB, Acura, Lexus and Infiniti....

Here's my dilemma... the 3 japanese cars are all very nice, and have a great repuation for being reliable, long-lasting cars.... the German cars, not so much... but i also know that people usually only get on the intenet to b*tch, so I'm trying to determine where i wanna go...

I'm looking at a 2001 C240 with 130K miles on it... looks clean as a whisle inside and out... honestly, one of the nicest cars i've looked at... HOWEVER, I am concerned with the reliability of the car and worried that it'll kill my wallet...

I know this is an MB forum, so i'm expecting to hear good things, but i'm also hoping for some objectivity.... What kind of problems do these cars have? are they reliable in the long term?? I'm only ever owned domestic cars, and i've always had good luck... change the oil and take care of the car and it lasts forever... I have a 410rwhp naturally aspirated Corvette (with a 150 nitrous shot when necessary) that never gives me fits and has been a gem... I'm not looking for a performance car with the MB, but i am looking for somethign that will stay on the road, be reliable, and not cost me an arm and a leg....

Any thoughts/help/suggestions is greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-10-2011, 08:15 AM

I bought a 2001 C240 new and loved driving it. It was a rare stick shift car and was incredible to drive. Mechanically it was rock solid, but had serious and ongoing electronic gremlins. I gave up on the car with less than 40,000 miles and took a serious economic beating on it.

I fully expect that if you bought a 2003 or newer, you would not have to deal with what I dealt with and instead have a rock reliable, fun car.

Doc
ASE Master

1984 240D Euro 4 Speed
1988 300E Manual 5 Speed
Plus all the parts cars
post #3 of 6 Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 AM

Vehicle: Germans, American, Italian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofaBish View Post
Hello all,

I'm a 25 year old from Pittsburgh, PA and looking for some information on a MB that i'm looking to maybe purchase. I'm in the market for a early 2000's luxury car, most likely with higher miles (90K - 130K) ... I'm looking at BMW, MB, Acura, Lexus and Infiniti....

Here's my dilemma... the 3 japanese cars are all very nice, and have a great repuation for being reliable, long-lasting cars.... the German cars, not so much... but i also know that people usually only get on the intenet to b*tch, so I'm trying to determine where i wanna go...

I'm looking at a 2001 C240 with 130K miles on it... looks clean as a whisle inside and out... honestly, one of the nicest cars i've looked at... HOWEVER, I am concerned with the reliability of the car and worried that it'll kill my wallet...

I know this is an MB forum, so i'm expecting to hear good things, but i'm also hoping for some objectivity.... What kind of problems do these cars have? are they reliable in the long term?? I'm only ever owned domestic cars, and i've always had good luck... change the oil and take care of the car and it lasts forever... I have a 410rwhp naturally aspirated Corvette (with a 150 nitrous shot when necessary) that never gives me fits and has been a gem... I'm not looking for a performance car with the MB, but i am looking for somethign that will stay on the road, be reliable, and not cost me an arm and a leg....

Any thoughts/help/suggestions is greatly appreciated!!!

Going to be 100% honest with you. 2001 C240 not a good idea. Run dont walk to the nearest exit. The W203 C Class was awful to start out with. 2001-2003 are just awful years with electrical issues. 2005-2007 are facelift models with a nicer interior. The reviews went much higher in 2005 for the C Class. I have a 2005 C240 I use as my daily driver all year. Got it with 49k on it and I have 72k on it now and I did nothing to it except rear springs due to poor roads. As a alternative car for the C240 look into a 2002 E320, E430 or E55 AMG. They can be had for very cheap now a days. Where are you located? Get a (PPI) Pre Purchase Inspection at a good indipendant shop and it could save you alot of issues.

Not much luck on my end with the Japanease/Asian cars we always keep at our other home in Florida Had a Infiniti Q45 that was always breaking down. Had a new fully loaded Nissan Maurano that stalled out 3 times while going 70mph on the highway and had a Hyundai Azura or what ever it is that overheated and stalled out on the highway. As far as your Corvette I have one too. 1991 C4 with 600BHP. No NOS. Google Robert Jenkal Tempest C4

~George H.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-10-2011, 01:42 PM

Sport,

It's good to hear feedback on the later W203 cars. I knew they got better later, so I assumed the 2003 would be better. My 2001 being such a disaster I was hoping that they got them sorted out. My C240 was the last new MB I ever bought. Great behind the wheel, but reliability was not MB like.

Doc
ASE Master

1984 240D Euro 4 Speed
1988 300E Manual 5 Speed
Plus all the parts cars
post #5 of 6 Old 02-10-2011, 05:56 PM

Vehicle: Germans, American, Italian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBible View Post
Sport,

It's good to hear feedback on the later W203 cars. I knew they got better later, so I assumed the 2003 would be better. My 2001 being such a disaster I was hoping that they got them sorted out. My C240 was the last new MB I ever bought. Great behind the wheel, but reliability was not MB like.

Unfortunalty the W203 did not get off the right foot. THey had the right idea. Getting away from the boxy looking w202 and that to me was a nightmare of car in every way possible. The looks of the w203 are nice and interior is much improved except for the wood being cheap but its a $30,000 car so your getting the best of best. 2001-2003 being no good. 2004 was hit or miss. 2005-2007 being solid. Of course a lemon pops up everywhere. There alot of fun to drive. My cousin has a 2004 C240 4Matic. 90k on it almost and its holding up pretty good. No rust. Just did springs and balljoints. Its NYS so thats why. He only had a door handle break and other then that its been all MB Service related. His father had the same car(differant color) and his was on and off. He got it one year old with 55k on it. Did over 500miles a week up to 110k and got rid of it. He now has a 2007 C280 4Matic.(40k) he bought it brand new and he only had to replace AM/FM antenna thats under CPO Warranty.

~George.

~George H.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-28-2018, 01:01 AM

I just bought a 2001 C240 with 58,000 miles. Had a carfax which said it just had full service at a local Mercedes Benz dealership. Having tons of bad trouble. I called the Mercedes benz dealership and they reported they did not do any service to the vehicle. So, first lesson, don't trust carfax. The coolant looked like a Wendy's Frostie. From this forum I learned that they had a bad quality radiator. So, I had the system flushed (7 times!) and installed the new radiator. It seems OK now but in S the transmission is VERY brutal in the 1-2 shifts. Now it appears the head is leaking on one side. The air conditioning isn't working and all 11 fault lights keep flashing in spite of the fact I cured most of them. Very disappointed in the quality control at the factory.
Is there a way to turn off all the faults that show on the dash screen without going to a M-B dealer to do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > General Mercedes-Benz