Power steering grinding noise, dealer can't find issue. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Power steering grinding noise, dealer can't find issue.

I hear grinding noise from the power steering of my GLE 350 2018 when I use the car after more than 4-5 days. It makes the noise only the first time I turn the steering to the left or right, even before I switch to reverse or drive. The noise appears to be coming from under the hood, not from something inside the cabin. I do let the vehicle warm up. No noise for any subsequent turning of the steering wheel. See attached video. Left the car at dealership, had them make it sit for 5 days and they say they didn't hear any noise when they tested it and don't see anything wrong with the steering. I have tested it 3 times at my home and it did make the noise each time I had it sit for more than 4-5 days. Can someone please advise? Youtube video is at- youtu.be/35Pccj1ZI-4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1999 ML430, 2000 ML320, 2005 E500 4matic wagon
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I can't get that Youtube URL to load and play.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I am sorry, somehow it works for me. I am on a windows laptop with google chrome. Can you please copy paste and put in browser. It doesn't let me put the actual complete link as I dont have enough posts yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
I can't get that Youtube URL to load and play.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:19 AM
Administrator

I did hear that noise. It is ugly. I have almost zero experience with the new electric steering racks.

I am not sure where you are located, but it would be time to get the service manager and the regional MBUSA service manager involved. Even if the car id out of warranty it needs to be fixed. If you have to get it to another dealer then so be it.

Here is the link so other members can relate to what we are talking about.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, planning to take it to a different dealer. I am in warranty period, and live in SC, USA. The dealer I usually go to always keeps on pushing back on the issues and keep on assigning same service provider to me even if I request a different one. I plan to make another video on a different surface to prove my point to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
I did hear that noise. It is ugly. I have almost zero experience with the new electric steering racks.

I am not sure where you are located, but it would be time to get the service manager and the regional MBUSA service manager involved. Even if the car id out of warranty it needs to be fixed. If you have to get it to another dealer then so be it.

Here is the link so other members can relate to what we are talking about.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 pano top, 2005 ML270cdi.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
That is one horrible noise

As noodles suggested, get a dealer to fix it, but pronto!!

No trees were harmed creating this message, however some electrons were very inconvenienced.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsingh View Post
Thanks, planning to take it to a different dealer. I am in warranty period, and live in SC, USA. The dealer I usually go to always keeps on pushing back on the issues and keep on assigning same service provider to me even if I request a different one. I plan to make another video on a different surface to prove my point to them.
I hate that when the dealer does that. When I worked at a dealer we did the direct opposite.

What part of SC? I have always had good interaction with Baker Motors in North Charleston, but if that is hours away then it is not worth the trouble.

Do not hesitate to get management or even MBUSA regional service management involved. We are dealing with steering and failure while driving is not an option.
Also if it fails out of warranty the price of an electric rack is insane. However safety is paramount issue at this point.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:42 PM

Based on the vid and what you said, my first assumption is it was the tires making that noise. It doesn't really sound like it but the audio is nasty with the echo of that empty room and the quality of my laptop speakers remind me of a little AM radio from the 60's. So I believe I'm getting a poor excuse of the original sound, which may mean I'm way off with the tire theory. Just in case I'll go over my theory: Tires can stick really well to the smoother concrete floor found in many garages, and they stick so well to smooth floors that if painted they'll often rip the paint up doing that. In short, tires can squeak super loud when moved like you did, if conditions are right. A wider and/or taller tire will be louder, as will tread with larger patches of smooth blocks. As in a dry performance tire vs a heavily siped tire. This is especially so if the tire is new and/or the tire and floor are dirt free. For example if you washed it or drove thru water in the driveway before parking it so there's little to no dust/dirt to prevent stiction. The sound is very much like the sound balloons make when twisting them into an animal, just much louder and deeper since a tire is a bigger and much thicker balloon. I'd assume everyone knows that sound tires make but it's possible you've never heard it. So I'm only mentioning all this as a long shot just in case. If it were the tires it would explain why the dealer can't duplicate it, but you should not have to wait 5 days either, it should do it every day or even all the time every time. If you suspect it may be the tires you could simply move fwd to get off that slick garage floor onto the driveway where I'd assume it's rough concrete, then turn the wheel.
If it really is a car issue then I'd have someone turn it for you while you were under the hood looking for the noise. If you can't do that then I'd tie a rope to the steering wheel so I could turn it while under the hood. If it were me I'd also do it in neutral without touching the brakes, or at least not using the brakes because the brakes add to the force needed to move the tires. For example you can see the vehicle tilt as it's fighting the brakes, so regardless of what's causing it, brakes are making it worse. I'd also try turning it with the eng off which would remove the pump from the equation, and pumps can make awful noises. I haven't heard one like that or nearly that loud, but who knows what kind of pump you have. Someone mentioned elect steering? If so then no pump? I'd also assume it would work normally with the eng off but ign on? If so then it would be much easier to find the noise, and make for a better recording. I assume by elect it means elect boost, not full blown elect like the throttle? I don't think I'd even get in a car if the steering was not mechanically locked to the wheel, but I imagine mfg's will try anything until enough people die, like that auto-driving Tesla. Idiots... Cool ideal and all, but you cannot trust anything to steer a car, even most people cannot do it.
So let me/us know about the floor/tires thing, and if it is under the hood then please try to give a better description of what happens. Like is there also resistance in the wheel and does said resistance match the sound it makes? Will it make the sound until the wheel locks to both sides, or only part of the way? If you keep pushing it after steering lock will it get louder? Exactly at what point does it stop making the sound? When you described it I got the impression it'll make sound to the left and right then stop. So if went 1/4 turn left and right then it's done, or do you have to make a full turn to each side? At that point is it completely quiet or just quieter? In the vid I cannot see the steering wheel or the cars wheels so I cannot connect the sound to any movement. Could you make a vid where I/we can see the steering wheel and tires where they meet the floor?
I don't believe being cold or warmed up would make any difference. I'm assuming but I can't imagine how so I'd just try it first thing. The tires can be affected by temp but it should only alter the sound, not eliminate or cause it.
Get back to us with all the info you can give me and we'll see if we can figure it out
Old 09-20-2019, 05:39 AM
Administrator

There is no pump for the steering in that SUV. It is an electric rack.

The computer that I heard the sound on has great speakers and I have never heard tires make any sound remotely close to that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > M/G/GL/GLK Class
User Tag List