Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Time to change brakes????

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  RedLiner 
#1 ·
Please dont blast me.....not familiar with brakes.......but do these look like they are bad?.....should I change them out? Benz wants 1000 plus to change them......I feel like they are trying to dupe me.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Complete your user profile and you may get a better response!
What Model of Mercedes?
What year?
Where are you located?

A 1000 what, Rupees, Pesos, Yen???

If you managed to remove the pads, then you are more than capable of inserting new pads ;)

With my 2005 ML the rear pads wear twice as quickly than the front pads so I change just rears then the next time the pads on all four wheels.

#3 ·
Sent the 2018 Gle350 to the dealership because of slight grinding in the rear.......I thought there was a rock stuck or something......they said rear brakes needed changing due to metal to metal contact......asking near 1000 for parts and labor for rear alone. Rotors looked ok to me.....unfortunately I didn't take pics of them. Yes and it looks like I may be able to change them myself if need be.

Thanks so much for your response

#4 ·
Yes, definitely do it yourself. Mercedes are one of the easiest Marques for changing brake pads.
See here for fronts
And here for rears

A set of front and rear pads are around $250. Akebono ceramic pads (less brake dust)are around that price on eBay.

#10 ·
Brake Pads for 2014 SL550

I really appreciate the link to EBC. It seems that they have brake pads for a SL500 but not for a SL550. Not sure if they interchangeable. If there is another vendor that has pads specifically for an SL550 that would be greatly appreciated.

#11 ·
I really appreciate the link to EBC. It seems that they have brake pads for a SL500 but not for a SL550. Not sure if they interchangeable. If there is another vendor that has pads specifically for an SL550 that would be greatly appreciated.
I think in the UK where EBC are located, SL55s SL550, are designated as SL500s.

The attached images are dimensions for a 2014 R231 SL500, if yours have the same dimensions then buying EBC 2014 R231 pads they will fit. You could also contact EBC (email) and ask.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.