Losing faith in my project! Suggestions? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-10-2007, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Losing faith in my project! Suggestions?

Started off really promising. 1975 230, not a real popular model but really straight, no rust, bone stock, overall decent looking and really workable condition. Once I got into the engine it went downhill.

Problem is the mechanicals. It needs a cam, rockers, timing chain & related parts and a valve job The cam I tracked down but it's hard to find parts for the car. Guess there weren't enough of them to warrant any aftermarket.

The only options I see would be to cut and run now, part out the car and recover some of what I've spent. Other option would be a transplant.

Just don't know how else to keep this car on the road without putting way too much money into it. Are there alternatives I don't know about like other MB engines that would swap with easier parts availability?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-07-2007, 04:31 PM

transplant

I think you'll need to find a replacement donor engine versus a complete rebuild of the current one - you could probably use a 190 (I think it might be the same block as the 230) you'll lose a little power (with not much to lose) but they were more plentiful....maybe someone will chime in on the interchangeability. (you could also consider a 240D driveline swap - plentiful enough)

John in San Antonio

Best of Luck in saving it!
post #3 of 6 Old 04-07-2007, 04:46 PM

200 not 190

It was the 200 which shared the block with the 230 - NOT the 190 motor - now I mean the gas version - not 200D - of the M102 motor. There was a station wagon version of the 230TE - in fact I remember one being sold on Craigslist in San Antonio very recently which was a grey market import.

John

post #4 of 6 Old 04-07-2007, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I just bought a 240D but really don't want to go diesel with the 230. If anything I'd rather do some fabrication and step up in HP. I believe the 230.4 was rated at about 115 HP. Something around 150 would be nice.

I've done engine swaps on several US cars. It takes time and requires a lot of thought to get all the accessories from the original powerplant to bolt up and function. AC was the worst but something I wouldn't like to live without when it's 105 degrees outside.

The 240D I picked up is nice enough to warrant fixing as well. A paint job and some carpet would do wonders for it. Rest of the interior is good. It needs new bottom end bearings but that won't take long to do.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-11-2007, 11:00 PM

Vehicle: S123
Have you looked into getting a donk out of a 280 or something? There are plenty of 280's hear in OZ. I don't know much about the petrol motors as I only deal in diesel.
I am currently into a big project also. I will be rebuilding a 1980 300TD from front to back. The motor is already half done and I am just waiting for some gaskets. Mine has no rust just a couple of dints from shopping trolleys. Just gotta get the A/C working.
Cheers.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-14-2007, 07:34 AM

i had a 69 230 , had 250 transplanted, was nothing but headaches, spent 4k back in 1981 on top/bottom of engine, car overheaded and destroyed the head again.

try adsitco.com, i find them to have alot of part and complete engines for about what i spent 20 plus years ago. been buying alot part s from them for my 77 450sl..

also try racepages.com. found them also to have / cheaper parts.

good luck ! dont give up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Classic Cars