'71 280SE 3.5 Convertible - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-04-2004, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'71 280SE 3.5 Convertible

My mom's car that sits in the garage for 350 days per year. (SO. CALI)

Care: I just finished waxing it up with KLASSE (red bottle), Connolly on the leather, Pledge on the wood. Same stuff that I use on my 300 SD, though I am less picky about the leather conditioner. It is Lexol orange bottle if I need to clean the leather. I don't do any engine mechanics on it whatsoever.

I just put some 100 octane into it for the first time, about 10 gallons of it. It idled significantly smoother, particularly noticeable upon starting it up first thing in the morning. I think that I will consistently put in at least 15-20% 100 OCTANE from now onwards. It is the kind of deal where once I tried the 100 OCTANE, there is just no going back to 91 or 92. It makes a HUGE difference in the run. I am a slow driver and drive it really slow...pisses people off sometimes, but hey that's life.

Specs: V8 of course, all original save for the stereo. The soft top and wood have been replaced once or twice, it has the BEHR AC unit. It has been painted over once. One aspect that I find particularly nice is the super tight, sensitive steering.

History: My mother got the car during the early 80's and used to run it as a daily driver, though it didn't go far. I remember one time she forgot to put it in Park, forgot to pull the e-brake and I watched the car roll straight down the driveway (backwards) and dead into a huge tree trunk. It cherried up the rear end pretty nicely, OUCH. It has been garaged since about 1989.

Parts that I am looking for:

(1) The AC knobs have two circular strips that run around them, a green one and a blue one. I could use these strips as the present ones are only half present. One of the knobs controls the fan speed and the other controls the temperature.

(2) I may need the levers (chrome with black ends) that control the vents. I am not with the car right now, but can describe these in better detail later. There are 4 levers I believe. They are situated just to the driver's right about chest level, just above or below the radio. They were not sliding smoothly and just broke off near the end. They should have been replaced with the wood...this job will happen again years down the road.

(I actually just picked up the front lic plate frame, though it is not yet installed.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg benz_71_11_2003_crop_smudge_plate.jpg (181.1 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg benz_280_crop_1.jpg (186.5 KB, 155 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-22-2004, 10:12 PM

Wow, what a great classic MB.

post #3 of 7 Old 11-30-2004, 01:31 AM

There are repair kits for those levers, but that is such a nice car that you should have your shop replace them with new original parts.

I have four of the Dura-Lever repair items shown in the attached instructions. Here is a source showing the installation instuctions. My instructions show that they are made by AutoLux Inc., 24842 Sea Crest Dr., Dana Point, CA 92629, Phone (714) 493-5578

Have you tried to get the A/C knobs at a dealership?

I hope you know that car's V8 requires premium fuel. I always wanted a pair of 3.5 cams for my 4.5 liter engines. In case you wonder why I don't still have the last and best of those 4.5s, I had to pay my taxes and sold the last one to an auto broker in 1995 for $5500.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-01-2004, 07:56 AM

Love the car. It looks fantastic.

post #5 of 7 Old 12-01-2004, 10:17 AM

What a beautiful vehicle. Certainly don't see a lot of those around. Let alone in such sparkling condition.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-07-2004, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
There are repair kits for those levers, but that is such a nice car that you should have your shop replace them with new original parts.

I have four of the Dura-Lever repair items shown in the attached instructions. Here is a source showing the installation instuctions. My instructions show that they are made by AutoLux Inc., 24842 Sea Crest Dr., Dana Point, CA 92629, Phone (714) 493-5578
Thanks for the input.

I don't think that those shown in the link are the same levers. Yeah, definitely not a job that I would do..requires taking off the wood. The levers are a longer, thin metal piece..and the metal snapped.

Quote:
Oh yeah...no go.

Quote:
I hope you know that car's V8 requires premium fuel. I always wanted a pair of 3.5 cams for my 4.5 liter engines. In case you wonder why I don't still have the last and best of those 4.5s, I had to pay my taxes and sold the last one to an auto broker in 1995 for $5500
Yeah, my mom usually puts 91 in it as 92 is no longer available (to my knowledge) in California. I put some 100 octane in it to mix it up..it runs much better smoother w/the higer octane, really amazing.

thx for the good word.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-09-2004, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy2004

Quote:
Oh yeah...no go.
Have you tried contacting the MB Classic Center directly? I think anything they have would be available at the dealership, but I know with my dealership sometimes they aren't completely "on the ball" when it comes to classic vehicles. http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container...r.jsp&menu=4_0

Another resource I look to if I can't find a part or piece of automobilia is to go to Ebay, go to "detailed search" and search German or other European auctions (if you get bogged down in the German language, just use an online translator, like Yahoo). That may sound silly, but it's what I do to look for model (toy) Mercedes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Classic Cars