'71 280SE 3.5 Convertible
My mom's car that sits in the garage for 350 days per year. (SO. CALI)
Care: I just finished waxing it up with KLASSE (red bottle), Connolly on the leather, Pledge on the wood. Same stuff that I use on my 300 SD, though I am less picky about the leather conditioner. It is Lexol orange bottle if I need to clean the leather. I don't do any engine mechanics on it whatsoever.
I just put some 100 octane into it for the first time, about 10 gallons of it. It idled significantly smoother, particularly noticeable upon starting it up first thing in the morning. I think that I will consistently put in at least 15-20% 100 OCTANE from now onwards. It is the kind of deal where once I tried the 100 OCTANE, there is just no going back to 91 or 92. It makes a HUGE difference in the run. I am a slow driver and drive it really slow...pisses people off sometimes, but hey that's life.
Specs: V8 of course, all original save for the stereo. The soft top and wood have been replaced once or twice, it has the BEHR AC unit. It has been painted over once. One aspect that I find particularly nice is the super tight, sensitive steering.
History: My mother got the car during the early 80's and used to run it as a daily driver, though it didn't go far. I remember one time she forgot to put it in Park, forgot to pull the e-brake and I watched the car roll straight down the driveway (backwards) and dead into a huge tree trunk. It cherried up the rear end pretty nicely, OUCH. It has been garaged since about 1989.
Parts that I am looking for:
(1) The AC knobs have two circular strips that run around them, a green one and a blue one. I could use these strips as the present ones are only half present. One of the knobs controls the fan speed and the other controls the temperature.
(2) I may need the levers (chrome with black ends) that control the vents. I am not with the car right now, but can describe these in better detail later. There are 4 levers I believe. They are situated just to the driver's right about chest level, just above or below the radio. They were not sliding smoothly and just broke off near the end. They should have been replaced with the wood...this job will happen again years down the road.
(I actually just picked up the front lic plate frame, though it is not yet installed.)