1992-1995 S500. What to know before buying? Advice ? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 07-10-2005, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1992-1995 S500. What to know before buying? Advice ?

Hi all Im new here. I have wanted one of these cars for years now. To make a long story short. I cant see getting a "new" car for 15k-20K or more. They are built cheaply and I dont like any of them. To me there is no other car that compares to an S500. Even an older one has class, style, power, safety. They seem to have it all.

From all I have read the engines and trannies seem solid if properly cared for. Now some say the little things will kill you in repair bills. I have heard everything from they are reliable and more to maintain than other cars, well of course! To they are money pits and to avoid them like the plauge. Which one is it?
Both? LOL! I want to do my research ahead of times. I would take it to a Benz dealer to have it inspected pre sale. I also have a good indie mechanic who works on BMW and Benz cars among others.

Thanks for any info and advice.
Gio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-11-2005, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Inspection at the dealer is crucial. It is not an option it must be done. Even if it checks out a car that old will need a lot of things over the next few years. A '92 was built in '91 and is already nearly 15 years old. The 140 cars were VERY complicated for their time and a lot of the model specific parts are huge money. Figure abourt 5K a year give or take to keep it properly maintained.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons