LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-22-2005, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Update: 260E only uses 5 gallons and then dies

Hi All,

I'm new here to the forum and I'm glad I found it. I'm having a couple of issues. The first one goes like this:

The 260E only uses 5 gallons of gas. Every time I go to get it filled up, it only fills up 5 gallons. I've checked the fuel pumps and they all work. I've even replaced one of the 2 and yet no progress.

The other problem right now is that it doesn't start. I suspect that the battery died, but I haven't gotten around to switching it with one of my others to see if my suspicion is true.

The engine cranks but it doesn't fire up. I haven't had the chance to go to buy new plugs and wires, yet.

In the event that replacing those parts does not solve the problem, are there any alternative solutions?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-27-2005, 10:05 PM

Welcome to Benzforum. I'm not sure about the problem your having with gas usage and fill-ups, but I'll ask this question in regards to the no start condition. When you turn the Key on, do you hear the electric fuel pump running for a few seconds? The fuel pump is located in front of the rear wheel on the passenger side. If you do not hear the pump running, it is possible either the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump is bad. There are a number of issues that can cause the car not to start, but this is probably not a bad place to start. I have also seen cracked rubber hoses around the Idle Control Valve keep the engine from starting. I am assuming you have spark at the spark plugs. Were there any problems with the car's performance prior to the no start condition?

Ken
post #3 of 7 Old 12-28-2005, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hey everyone, thanks so much for all the replies so far.

I changed the plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. and the spark plugs. I also checked the fuel pump and a 10A fuse in the OVP relay.

The engine cranks and I got it to fire up once. Fuel goes into the fuel distributor. After 20 minutes of turning the key and steping on the throttle, the engine fired up and ran for about 10 minutes. Then I turned it off and after a while, the battery died. So I'm go take care of this again. It looks like the fuel injectors are clogged or osmething.

As far as performance goes, the engine ran at a mediocre level, I can't tell if the fuel pump relays are bad. I took a look at them and shook them and it sounded like everything was in place.. The spark plugs were very fouled and there was a lot of carbon in the combustion chambers. I really not sure if I answered anyone elses questions

Thanks so much though, and I will use any other advice.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-31-2005, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Update:

Well it seems as if the fuel injection system was gunked up. I bought a "3-step commercial fuel injection system cleaning kit" from Kragen and an Optima Red Top 1000 CA battery. After replacing the plugs and filling the nearly empty gas tank with a whole bottle of octane booster, I got the car to idle. After completing step 1 (intake cleaner) of the 3 step kit, I was able to put the car in Drive and Reverse and not have it stall on me and die. I ran out of day light and had to take care of other business so i have to put this off (hopefully only till tomorrow).

cheers!
post #5 of 7 Old 01-01-2006, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
ok so I've used up all of that Berryman cleaning kit and the car starts up in neutral like a champ. There's an alarm system on it, but the horn is broken, so I don't know what the deal is with that. So far the car doesn't stall.

About the 5 gallon use deal... so there might be a clog in the fuel tank vent. So I guess that goes to the carbon cannister in the engine bay? I haven't been able to locate the carbon cannister so I haven't solved that problem yet. anyway, let me know what you all think.

Thanks in advance
post #6 of 7 Old 01-03-2006, 06:30 AM

You haven't said what year your 260 is. I have an 88 (but I installed the entire drivetrain from an 88 300E in it last year). I wouldn't blame the charcoal canister for the fuel delivery problem. Try running the car without a gas cap -- it is a pressure/vacuum vented cap and should allow air into the tank as the fuel level drops. The charcoal canister is located behind the left front fender as shown here:

http://bos-engel.com/benz/canister.jpg

You might be able to access it by removing the inner fender.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-03-2006, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
great! That helps out a lot! my 260 is also an 88.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons