EPS, ABS Malfunction... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-09-2006, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
EPS, ABS Malfunction...

A week ago I purchased a 2000, S500 with 28k miles from Mercedes Benz of Manhattan with 3 years of extended warranty. I decided to take a nice drive up to PA yesterday and on I80, about 50 miles into my trip the car started making a funny noise. At first I thought it was tires because we had switched from asphalt to a conrete strip. I have to admit I was really displeased. We switched over to asphalt and the noise was still there and then just disappeared. So I ruled out any problems and just blamed the bad road.

On my way back home I hear a pop and then a draggin sound, I put on my hazzard lights and begin to proceed to the shoulder of the highway. I thougt that I either had a flat tire or something was caught under the chasis of the car. When I take a look under the car, I notice a plastic cover hanging down, and that It was missing 2 bolts. This platic thing had 2 ait ducts and was covering the oil pan and a suspension mechanism (I assume). I manage after 30 mins of struggle to re-secure this plastic part pulled, got back on the road and all was fine.............until..........another 40 miles in noticed an error appear.....something about "BAS, Brake assit program, Malfunction (Visist Workshop)" with an ABS light then cycled another error "Stabilty assit something somthing (EPS)" No im freaking out..... I apply the brakes to make sure they still work and they do. I maintain 55mph and drive on the slow lane all the way home.....Im so bummed out.....I wont be able to take the car the shop untill Monday.....

What the hell was that plastic piece?

Will my warranty cover the damage?

Thanks,

Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

If you purchased the car a week ago, the dealer should take care of any problems like that within the first month. The plastic piece is just an underbody panel. The two ducts you see on it are to keep your motor mounts cool. Most likely they took it off at the dealer when they were inspecting it and forgot to tighten them down. I don't think it would be related to your warning lights though. And a BAS light isn't too common on a 220 S-class, as it would be on an ML or an old C class or something. But whatever it is, it should still be drivable. The BAS feature won't work which is supposed to shorten stopping distance in a panic stop. And your ESP won't work, which means you can spin the car out at your desire. So just don't drive crazy with it, and you should be able to drive it to the dealership you bought it from.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-09-2006, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
thanks alot... that was a very, very well written answer... I will take it to the dealertomorrow and let you know what happens.

-Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons