LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-03-2006, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Magnetic-Camshaft Adjuster on 1996 C220

hi, i've got 1996 C220.

when the tachometer gauge passing 1500RPM there is a sound coming from the engine, some ppl said to me that it could be a magnetic-camshaft adjuster...

a round thing which can be seen on top of the engine under the plastic cover,
can anyone say me another problems which this thing can cause?

and what function does it performs?

and should i replace it as soon as possible, or it cant damage engine?

it will cost 90$ for me to replace it, i hope it helps and sound will not repeat..

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
$90? That's a steal! It's about a 3-4 hour job to replace it, unless your just replacing the magnetic coil, which won't do anything. For the most part, noises from the Cam adjuster is normal. It should be just a slight rattle like you said, around 1500 rpms that lasts for about half a second at a time. The camshaft adjuster simply advances the camshaft timing for higher RPM's to allow better throttle response at the lower rpms and still have decent power in the upper rpms. Mainly, flatter torque curve. So, unless the noise is UBER HORRIBLY LOUD!, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you absolutely want it gone, they do make an updated camshaft adjuster/camshaft gear with rubber padding along the chain sprocket to quiet it down alittle. But it really is a 3-4 hour job to replace this, not to mention the price of the parts should be up there as well!
post #3 of 8 Old 08-04-2006, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
ok, so, the sound... the rattle which is coming on 1500RPM is not so strong... just a little, like u said lasting less than second!

but... does it affect on the perfomance of my engine now?

for example, sometimes when i press accelerator pedal fully (with button pressed under pedal), on speed of 20-30km/h the engine doesnt gain RPMs instantly, and the car gains speed very long!

can the magnetic-camshaft adjuster cause this problem?? or its normal for 220 engine??

90$ is the price for this part, the price for job will be around 15-20$ ..

the magnetic-camshaft adjuster is a round thing, which can be seen even when u open hood... so... why one needs 3-4 hours to replace it? it must be easy... or maybe u mean that i must replace not only it to make the sound gone??

so... if i replace only this magnetic-camshaft adjuster problem will not gone?

post #4 of 8 Old 08-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member

It sounds to me like your having no problems with the cam adjuster at all other than alittle bit of noise, which is normal, and should not effect how the engine runs at all. A 220 really isn't that powerful of an engine and usually does take some time to pick up speed. Perhaps your having some other runabilty problems that might be causing your engine to lack power, but I highly doubt your cam adjuster has anything to do with it.

What your looking at under the hood, under that black cover, with three screws holding it on and one connector plugged into it is simply the magnetic actuator for the cam adjuster, and not the cam adjuster itself. This will have absolutely ZERO effect to any noise that the cam adjuster itself would make. The cam adjuster is actually under the valve cover and upper timing cover. In order to replace this, you would need to remove the valve cover, upper timing cover, and chain tensioner (which many times means removing the alternator). You would have to lock the timing gears, loosen the chain, replace the mounting bolts, yatta yatta yatta. It's a huge process and takes several hours to do.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-05-2006, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
well... then i wont do anything there. Cuz anyone who drives my car says it runs very good for 220... and sound is not strong...

thanks a lot, cuz i was about to spend 90$ for nothing
post #6 of 8 Old 08-16-2006, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
hi, i am sorry for writing here again but....

u said that:
Quote:
"What your looking at under the hood, under that black cover, with three screws holding it on and one connector plugged into it is simply the magnetic actuator for the cam adjuster, and not the cam adjuster itself."
yes, but yesterday, one guy unplugged the cable from that magnetic actuator, and... the sound gone!! so...it means that this magnetic actuator also can be the reason of this sound!!?

he said to me that he will try to repair it, and there is no need yet to buy the new one for 90$...

what u think about this? if it has ZERO effect, then why sound dissapeared when he unplugged the connector?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

Because the when you unplug it, the cam adjuster no longer works, therefore it doesn't make the noise anymore. When it's working properly, when the engine reaches the rpm to were your intake camshaft should be adjusted, your engine control module supplies voltage to that camshaft actuator, which all it does is create a magnetic field that pulls a plunger on the actual cam adjuster under the valve cover which opens a valve, filling the cam adjuster with oil, causing it to rotate and advance the camshaft. When it's working and plugged in, what your actually hearing is the camshaft actually being advanced or retarted. Which is normal for it to make some noise. When you unplug it, the cam adjuster is no longer functional and therefore does not make any noise.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-24-2015, 08:25 PM

dealing w similar issue, thanks for clarify adjuster function. my problem is with throttle response, flat spot then response when let off its like hitting off switch for a sec., there is no lite pedal or feathering pedal as in traffic, even speed, when you come off throttle but not full off,,,,no response. When I unplugged the cam adjuster it made a difference, didnt cure my problem either, just reved better. The throttle body assy has been replaced with a MB part. ??????? Runs good just no slow driving. feels like tps on other cars, like a dead spot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons