Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Car will not start after Changing Gear Selector

40K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  RedLiner 
#1 ·
Hello Experts,

I took my car (E320) to a car wash, and apparently they mistakenly have fluids in the gear selector. The car was stuck in 2 and will not automatically shift. I got a OBD code saying the selector switch was faulty.

So bought a new Floor (Gear) shift assembly and replaced the fautly one. After that I tried to crank the car up but it wont start. We put the OBD code reader on the car to read it but now it says it passed.

Please does anyone know why it wont start. Does this means the shift assembly i just put in is wrong or is there a switch somewhere that will let the car knows its in Park or neutral before it can start? These are the questions I have been asking myself.

Thanks.

#2 ·
It probably is just a simple switching issue, however to help us more can you add the year of your E320 and also your location to your user profile.

Depending on year an E320 gearbox can be either 722.6 or 722.9

#4 ·
Firstly double check that the shift assembly you bought is exactly the same as the original.

The lockout on your shift assy. is electronically controlled (N15/5) so the first thing is to check that the control unit is plugged in and connected correctly.

I have attached two images of the unit. If you need the full wiring diagram let me know and I'll copy and store it.

Click on images to enlarge

Attachments

#5 ·
Thanks Redliner, the shift assy is the correct one and I plugged in the control unit correctly.
Correct me if I'm wrong, from my understanding, the car should still be able to start no matter the connection of the shift assy.
I did not disconnect the battery before i changed the shift assy, someone mentioned maybe the neutral saftety switch might be damaged.

#9 ·
I have a 1998 E320. Spiller water on the shifter last Friday and had to drive 60 miles in "limp home" mode. I purchased a new Gear Position Module from the local MB dealer and installed last night. When I tried to start the car after re-assembly .... nothing. I will go back and check my connections, but do you have any other suggestions? Is there some type of reset that needs to be accomplished for the vehicle to recognize the new module? Kaybal, did you resolve your issue?

P.S. - The gear position module is the IC board housed within the shifter that I understand is the problematic item when liquid has been spilled on the shifter. Thanks in advance for your help!

#11 · (Edited)
The schematics are posted from Mercedes Web ETM and Starfinder that cover most MB models, your model ,like Kaybal's, is the one in the attached photo (click image to enlarge)
. If you want to send a PM, I'll explain how to get one.

It doesn't mention anything about resetting, but as you bought your module from a Mercedes dealer you could perhaps call them and ask.

EDIT: if Kaybal picks up this post, they may be kind enough to explain the eventual fix, or you could try a PM.

EDIT 2: I've just found this info although I'm not sure if it will help but worth trying.
Turn the Key to the "on" position (the position right before you start your engine)
Press and hold your gas pedal down for like 5 seconds
Turn Key to "off" position (dont remove the key) and then release the gas pedal.
than wait about 2 minutes or so.

afterwards, go drive your car the way you like to drive it and your transmission will readjust/relearn your style of driving

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.