which options are worth the money? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 01-08-2003, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
which options are worth the money?

hello all, i m planning to buy a c230k this month, and i want to know which options are actually worth the money.
how is the standard sound system? and if i want an in-dash cd player, what are my options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-08-2003, 02:20 PM

I just bought mine last week. Took an '02 leftover from stock, so it came with what it came with. Had the dealer put in the CD changer (not an option with my 1 hour each way commute). Based on my car, here's my opinion:

CD Changer - worth the money, but you lose glove box space.
The standard sound system sounds pretty good. I'm sure the Bose system is a little more meaty though. The car rides so quietly that any decent system sounds nice.
Tele-Aid system - Worth the money just for the safety factor.
Wheel package - Makes the car look nicer. Improves performance handling and resale value. Probably reduces mileage a bit, and might be less snow/rain friendly.... a choice of asthetics mostly.
Leather - wish I had it.
post #3 of 28 Old 01-08-2003, 04:32 PM

If your are considering a six speed the absolute must have is C7. It includes a short throw shifter, which is much better than the standard shifter. In my opinion the Panorama roof is a must have. If you live in an area where it gets cold, they heated seats are great. The bi-xenon headlights are a good buy, too. If you want leather, but the car you are looking at doesn't have it, it can be added for $1300 to $1500 at a couple of places like Classic Soft Trim or Katzkin.

An aftermarket headunit cannot be connected to either the CANBUS or the D2B fiber optic loop. Without CANBUS, you can't use the steering wheel buttons to change the volume or stations on the radio. Without D2B, you can't use the Bose amp, an integrated phone or a factory cd changer.

post #4 of 28 Old 01-08-2003, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
i m going to buy the automactic model, cuz i dont know how to drive a standard

and i live in winnipeg, canada, which is cold and lots of snow in the winter, well, except this winter, which is kind of warm. but i might move to vancouver later this year, or in the future.

i think i will get the sunroof, since i read that it's nice in this forum.

about the cd player, should i just get the benz cd changer option? or there's better option out there?

how about the 17" wheel, is that anygood for me?
post #5 of 28 Old 01-08-2003, 08:09 PM

There are only two changers that will work with the stock headunit. One is the MB/Alpine unit installed by MB or the dealer, and the Becker Silverstone 2662. They are connected to the h/u via the D2B fiber optic network. Get the MB changer.

You could get another changer and connect it with an RF modulator. The H/u and steering wheel buttons can't be used to control a changer connected this way.

post #6 of 28 Old 01-08-2003, 09:08 PM

I'm not sure about TeleAid, but having a cell phone with 1-800-MERCEDES surely helps! I had a little problem today... called 1800Mercedes, they got my location down and said that I'll hear from someone within 15 minutes. In 10 minutes someone called me from the dealership and in 8 minutes they were looking at my car. Great Service, I'm pretty impressed.
post #7 of 28 Old 01-09-2003, 06:54 AM

options

The panaramic sunroof is awesome! I previously drove a convertible and don't miss it a bit with this option on the C230K. Backseat passengers really like having all that glass too. Tele-Aid is very nice. Love the leather seats and the heated option. Bose sound system is great and I love my CD changer. Previous car just had a single CD which was tiresome. All in all, I got a lot more options than I originally wanted but ended up really liking them all. Memory for the seats is great, especially if you share the car. The only option that seems useless is the light washing system. (Maybe if I lived in a place with actual weather it would be useful.)
post #8 of 28 Old 01-09-2003, 06:55 AM

Yeah, I forgot about the Panorama Sunroof... probably because it is uncommon NOT to have that.. it is wonderful. You can do the package that will also give you the rain sensor for the wipers, etc. Nice, and not too pricey.

If you want a CD changer - definately go factory (or dealer add).. aftermarket might give you compatibility headaches that aren't worth the few $ you save.

The C7 wheel package is very nice...even with the automatic.

I was in Winepeg once... long ago... beautiful city.
post #9 of 28 Old 01-09-2003, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pweb
I'm not sure about TeleAid, but having a cell phone with 1-800-MERCEDES surely helps! I had a little problem today... called 1800Mercedes, they got my location down and said that I'll hear from someone within 15 minutes. In 10 minutes someone called me from the dealership and in 8 minutes they were looking at my car. Great Service, I'm pretty impressed.
I'm one of "those people" who don't have a cell. So there is TeleAid in my car. Hopefully, it'll never be used for emergency or trouble purposes. But it's nice to know it's there. One nice thing, they already know where you are, just in case the area is unknown to you.

'08 C300 Sport/Barolo Red/Gray-Black Leather/6 SP/AMG Wheels/iPod/P2/MultiMedia/Tele Aid
'09 Passion Coupe/Metallic Gray/Black Tridion/Comfort Package/Fog Lights/Solid Roof/Clock-Tach/Anti-Theft/Navigation/Bluetooth
post #10 of 28 Old 01-09-2003, 08:14 PM

Get a winter tire pkg for winterpeg plus the heated seats, especially if you have leather seats option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons