Unwanted attention - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 08-03-2003, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unwanted attention

I'm sure I can't be the only one that is having problems with unwanted attention while driving, parking or just some people knowing I have a Mercedes. It bugs me sometimes when I see oncoming traffic crossing the center lane, coming right at me and the driver is looking at my car. Or when parking, I try to park as far from the store as possible so no one can open their doors onto mine. Some how whenever I come out of the store there are cars parked on both side of my car. Then there are those I know (mostly people at work) seem to have a problem with me having a Mercedes. If I seem angry about it, I'm not really. I just don't understand it. Has anyone else had any of these problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 08-03-2003, 12:17 PM

ditto

Ditto, the change is significant.

I drive into gas stations now and the attendent says "sir", whereas before it was "..."

The way I drive, most people behind me get frustrated because, while I like to drive fast, I'm also kind of neurotic in terms of checking and rechecking traffic conditions. This extra second or two before making a turn or going through a stop sign drives people behind me crazy, and they'd end up honking.

Now that I'm in this car, the honking incidence has gone down by a factor of 10.

Also, even though you're driving a C230K that costs less than a loaded Ford Taurus, many people see it as an impractical, lavish purchase and treat you accordingly.
post #3 of 32 Old 08-03-2003, 05:21 PM

I seem to be having the same problem also..I am 22 and just got a 03 C230 right off the showroom floor. Well most people seem to have a problem with that. I have always had nice cars new camaro convt's sports cars like that, people never usually cared when I had those but now that I have a Mercedes its like "woah spoiled brat" well whatever lol who cares if I am or not, its not the point I got the car I liked and my parents wanted me to have a safe car thats why I have it not because I am spoiled. Also, being I only work 3 days a week I get a lot of guff because of that. One of my co-workers which is 27 and drives a 92 p.o.s actually told me that I dont deseve it someone who actually works deserves it someone like him and that the only reason I have it is because my mommy bought it for me. Then you get the people like him that are just plain jealous so that you just have to ignore. So, I have notived some of the unwanted attention but I have to say most of the attention has been good and just people saying how much they love the car and how cool it looks etc. Still no matter what anyone elses opinon is on it I still love it!

post #4 of 32 Old 08-03-2003, 08:09 PM
sg

We just got our c230k a week ago. The reaction from our friends can be a little strange. We also own a 2002 Dodge Ram which cost more and nobody pays attention. I think most people are uninformed and think the Benz costs more.
post #5 of 32 Old 08-03-2003, 08:36 PM

I get that sometimes, although it's not as bad as some of you guys described. One guy at my gym actually thought this car cost $45,000 so I can see where people get this reaction.
post #6 of 32 Old 08-03-2003, 08:52 PM

I've had people guess 60 to 75 thousand. Some people just assume all MBs have prices like the S or SL.

post #7 of 32 Old 08-04-2003, 04:10 AM

yeah i get unwanted attention too. I'm 24 and just arrived back home (i live in a very small place where everyone knows everyone) after being away for 7 years..and as soon as i got back i bought my merc. Some people who know me give me dirty looks..totally jealous as if they dont understand how i can have this car having got back so recently..others complain when i get out of the car and i might have my cut jeans shorts (cause i have just been to the beach or something!!) hehe they say it should not be allowed to have a merc driver wearing cut jeans!...but to be honest no matter what car or money i have..i'll always dress and be the same...its just some people are too jealous...so much so that someone scratched my car..but hey thats life i guess....atleast we have a merc
post #8 of 32 Old 08-04-2003, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I think that some of the problem is where I live. This is a middle class town. You just don't see as many Mercedes as you do near the beach.
Another thing that bothers me is when you are at a light or stop sign, people get so close to your bumper you almost can't see their head. California isn't the place to get on top of someones bumper anyway. There are so many hills here. Your car will roll back even if it's an automatic.
I have never had this problem. When I see someone in a very nice car, my first thoughts are....."nice car!" And that is my last thought.
post #9 of 32 Old 08-04-2003, 11:23 AM

It is true

On the street actually I don't get more attention. I already had a sport car before that caused me a lot of troubles. People cut my way, didn't stop, were suddenly stopping in front of me. Now I have none of these with the mercedes.

However I have noticed an interesting thing.
When I had the sport car mostly those below 30 who caused me troubles.
Now having the mercedes mostly those above 40 who are causing me troubles.

At work I had a little trouble to explain my boss how I got the Mercedes .... Your troubles are normal. People are just jealous.

Buying a Hyundai for $25000 or a Ford Focus SVT isn't just STUPID ?!
post #10 of 32 Old 08-04-2003, 11:12 PM

I live in orange county, where rarely anyone seems to pay attention to my car, they are too busy paying attention to their own car:whether it is a new or old mercedes/bmws/volvos/lexus/jaguars/ etc. Of course, there are the other brands of cars, but one time I was near Newport bay and there were 6 cars and we were all mercedes and I was thinking, "wow, i wonder if they are all assessing how each car cost."....me, probably the cheapest of everyone there, considering the young man next to me in his SL 500 was looking at my car and smirked. I just smiled and drove away happy that I had a mercedes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons