Does the Benz quality remain?? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 10-20-2003, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Does the Benz quality remain??

I currently own a 1999 Volvo S80 T6 which I had planned to drive into the ground and own forever. This has not been the case. After 4 yrs and 55,000 miles the car is costing me a fortune in repairs. I will never own another Volvo. I'm currently looking at the 2004 MB E500 4matic and the new 2004 BMW 545i. My concern is quality. I want a vehicle I can own for 10 to 15 years, put 150,000 miles on it and have it not bleed me dry. With the DaimlerChyrsler and FordVolvo mergers/acquisitions I'm skeptical that the quality remains in these Euro-brands. Any thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-20-2003, 12:56 PM

I just got a 1997 C280 its costing me a fortune to fix so far the tranmission has gone, mass air flow to name a few, I think its just a lemon of a car, other owners have not had the same problems. Now its not an E500 but, mercedes just brushes me off and says the car is passed the warrenty, maybe its because I did not drop 100 grand on a car. Just food for thought.
post #3 of 28 Old 10-24-2003, 10:55 AM

According to my mechanic mercedes does not have the quality it used to, they are pumping cars out to fast and making people buy new ones with so many maintance problems.

post #4 of 28 Old 11-04-2003, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had the same trouble with my Volvos... I was a Volvo owner for 25 years, but recently, their cars sucks and the service also sucks.

I'm planning to buy a Mercedes, but I still have this in my mind. Are they still the great car they used to be?
post #5 of 28 Old 11-05-2003, 01:04 AM

From what I see here and on other forums in Europ it seems that MB made after 1994 are not of the same quality than they used to be. I have a A1992 500E and I do nothing on the car except fuelling up (often - in France it's pathetic) and regular maintenance.

Now to be fair all luxury brands are trying to make numbers even at the cost of quality. What they may not have understood is that it is the reason why in the first place we by expensive car. They apply a marketing technic well known in the software industry where it is better to ship a product 90% ready and send update for fixes while taking market shares(actually most of the big problem are electronic and software related so go figure , may be they've employed ex Microsoft developper's ). After all as long as we keep bying them they have no reason to believe that they are wrong.

I see only two solution to that problem while continuing to drive cars we like :
One is to find a pre 1994 in exeptionnal condition or buy a new car few years after it's first release when most of the problems have been corrected, like with software never buy version 1.0
post #6 of 28 Old 11-05-2003, 11:49 AM

Go buy a lexus if you want luxury, vip customer service, and top notch reliability...
post #7 of 28 Old 11-05-2003, 11:23 PM

Mercedes Benz quality: Is it getting worse?

Hi y'all,

I also like the quality of the Lexus, Camry etc but I dont like the frequency of service, and replacement part requirements which add a lot to costs.
As an owner of a 300E (86) for 12 years, and it had fault too, I have to admit that the quality of the new MBs has become more like the Camrys & other Toyotas. The structural integrity is fine but, if you notice the bolt on/bolt off fenders on the 300E and earlier models and, the sub systems they are attached to and you look at the E320 models and more recent ones, you have to take a power torch and cut the rear fenders if you prang them up.No bolt on/bolt off feature. Interior leather and wood touches seem cheaper too. I now have a C230 Coupe which is well built, quiet, economical, fast, generally first rate quality, but it is highly computerized. It is faultless right now as a 2003 model. And, the service period is at least every 15,000 KMS(10K miles), which saves money. I wonder if it will be as great a car as the 300E, which I just turned over to my son and, which looks almost like a new car! How we treat our cars makes a difference but, some people are unlucky too. After all, they are all just machines, comprising some 15000 parts. Good luck to us all.

Al
post #8 of 28 Old 11-06-2003, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
What "version" of the E-class is 2004?

Any thoughts on what version the 2004 E-class really is? Engine, drivetrain, 4Matic, electronics, etc. I realize that there are a few new developments for 2004 but how long has the current version of the car existed? Have they had sufficient time to work out the kinks?
post #9 of 28 Old 11-07-2003, 08:14 PM

drop in reliability

From what I've read Mercedes Benz quality is no longer what it used to be. Consumer Reports and their surveys
reflect a drop in reliability.

A neighbour of mine runs a car buying business and tells me that some of the 2004 E320s his customers have bought
are spending more time in the shop than on the road!

Take a look at this Autoweek story where they did a "long" term test on the C320. The glove box fell off twice!!!
The list of problems is breathtaking.
http://www.autoweek.com/search/searc...71259&record=2

My '97 E320 is pretty reliable but not to the extent I expected. I had the mass airflow sensor changed, the
head gasket changed, minor electrical glitches and some rust spots around the wheel arches. Nonetheless it is a real
pleasure to drive. I'm not sure that I'd buy another many years from now, one given the trend in reliability.
post #10 of 28 Old 11-07-2003, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

COME ON!!! My brother had a Hyundai for 9 years and never had such inadmissible problems!!!

I won't buy a Volvo because they have such trouble...

Why did I had to fall in love with a C230???

Shame on you MB!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons