1995 e420 check engine light - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 11-23-2003, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1995 e420 check engine light

Hi Just joined the forum. I recentlypurchased a 95 e420 from a friend with only 17,000 mi. The only problem he ever had was the engine light coming on after he changed the original battery.After 1000 miles of ownership,, the car got an intermittent no-start. I traced it down to severely corroded caps and rotors.The car now runs great again. If I disconnect the ground cable from the battery several times, the engine light goes off, only to re-appear after 20 miles or so . Does the computer have to be reset with a scanner ? It just passed an emissions test with flying colorsand runs great , but I can't stand looking at that light. HELP!!! Thanks Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-29-2003, 10:36 PM

Check engine lights are almost always emmission related I think. You will probably have to get it diagnostically checked out. You have made sure the gas cap is on tightly haven't you?

What kind of mileage are you getting? Significantly less than an E320? I would like an E420 but am worried about mileage. Any help would be appreciated.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-30-2003, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
e420 gas mileage.

Thanks for the reply. I always figured that the original reason for the engine light was probably a misfire due to the corroded cap and rotors. If that originally triggered the light,would a re-set with a scanner be the only way to shut off the light? [of course figuring that there were no other reasons for the light to be on]. As far as gas mileage, the friend that I bought it from used to always kid me about the car getting bad gas mileage. But in the same breath,he'd also tell me how much balls the car had , and what a pleasure it was to have all that power on tap . I'm basically a cheap person when it comes to wasting gas, but to tell you the truth ,it's a pleasure to drive this car .That motor is AWSOME .It makes all the difference in the world.Unless economy is a major issue, or you'll be driving a lot of open road mileage, where the power difference wouldn't be noticed as much, I personally would prefer the 8 cylinder. I never checked the mileage, but I would say that it is in the 12 mpg area locally, and about14 on the highway. Thanks Dennis

post #4 of 4 Old 06-03-2015, 07:38 PM

Hi guys, I'm currently looking at a 1995 e420. It has a ghost problem. It will start intermittently. Sometimes it will some it won't. Wire in harness has been updated. Any directing is greatly appreciated. Drive on. Todd in Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons