Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons (https://www.benzforum.com/forum/mercedes-benz-sedans-wagons/)
-   -   What is a Standing Light?? (https://www.benzforum.com/forum/mercedes-benz-sedans-wagons/8313-what-standing-light.html)

jimbo230 12-19-2003 05:43 AM

What is a Standing Light??

HI:

I parked my new C230 in the work parking lot the other morning , turned off the headlights and noticed that the passenger side (only) parking light
was on. I realised that I had spun the headlight switch too far to the Standing light position. I read about this in the manual. Does anyone know what standing lights are for?? Are these those little blue lights that they have on German market cars? Can someone help me out here??

Thanks.

Troutman 12-19-2003 07:51 AM

I believe that these lights are required in certain European areas when the car is parked temporarily, i.e. standing.

tsberkey 12-19-2003 10:11 AM

Re: What is a Standing Light??

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo230
HI:

I parked my new C230 in the work parking lot the other morning , turned off the headlights and noticed that the passenger side (only) parking light
was on. I realised that I had spun the headlight switch too far to the Standing light position. I read about this in the manual. Does anyone know what standing lights are for?? Are these those little blue lights that they have on German market cars? Can someone help me out here??

Thanks.

They're what you and I refer to as parking lights, but here in the US, they would both be on. With this switch you will leave on only the lights on the side of the car that is closer to traffic, which most of the time is driver's side. I don't know if they do this to save battery power, or if it's just tradition, I just know that's what I've read about it.

Tim 8)

jimbo230 12-19-2003 11:48 AM

Thanks for the info.

Mark08859 12-19-2003 12:42 PM

Re: What is a Standing Light??

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsberkey
They're what you and I refer to as parking lights, but here in the US, they would both be on. With this switch you will leave on only the lights on the side of the car that is closer to traffic, which most of the time is driver's side. I don't know if they do this to save battery power, or if it's just tradition, I just know that's what I've read about it.

Tim 8)

Pretty much on the money. It's a feature used almost exclusively in Europe. Many of their streets can be hundreds of years old. They are extremely narow by U.S. standards. The light warns other drivers on the road that there is a car in their path. The side of the car that might be hit by traffic is the side that is lit. You're supposed to be able to leave the light on for 24 hours w/o harm to the car or battery. This allows you to park the car overnight.

zhur0002 12-21-2003 09:50 PM

What is a Standing Light??

I think all the mercedes have them I know all the old w126 did. I think it is if you park on a dark street for you can turn it on to make your car more visible. It is a low volt. bulb so it can be on for a long time before draining the bat.