how long should brakes last - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-22-2004, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
how long should brakes last

Hey all just wondering im in the process of changing my wheels.With that i bought new brakes and rotors for the car.When i looked at the ones that were on there i noticed that the pads in the front were damn near gone.And i mean gone. The car only has 42,000 miles on it when i got.Is that abnormal or what.Could i just say that the last owner had a heavy foot and like to pump the heck out of the brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-22-2004, 10:08 AM

It really depends on your driving habits.

My car has 25000mi and break pads look like new.
However I had the front disks turned a year ago when my car had only 10000mi. This is because of the salt and wet conditions in Montreal. For instance if your disks are hot and you hit a water or wet snow, your disks will instantly undergo a sever heat treatment causing a disk deformation.

In Montreal most people have winter tires that they use 6 months. Well I also have winter break disks ... sever wet condition are bad for break.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-22-2004, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

on these vehicles the average statistic for brake pad wear puts replacement between 12K and 22K miles. this is of course averaging in the ML's, which are notorious for going through brakes very quickly. If you're seeing 42K miles on a set of pads that car has either done nothing but highway driving or has already had them replaced. rotors are replaced normally every other brake job. MB has warned very specifically against the cutting/resurfacing of their rotors. the brakes in general perform very well, but they wear out quickly, can be noisy and leave copious amounts of brake dust all over your wheels.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-25-2004, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yeah thats true.The brake dust that is.I went on and got them replaced.New rotors and all that.I still get brake dust.I guess my next move is to get the higher quality brake pads that dont make all the dust.Thanks for the replies.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-25-2004, 11:26 AM

I had the front brake changed on my '02 C230K at 39,000KM (about 25K miles) and I do 60 miles of highway/day. In Canada, we have a 2 year/25K miles warrantee on wear...so they changed the rotors and the labor was at no cost.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-07-2004, 09:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to jenniet01 Send a message via Yahoo to jenniet01
Brake lining wear

I just got a message saying "Brake lining wear. Visit workshop now!" I only have 15,000 miles on my car, and the brakes squeak just a little--so do I have to run out right NOW? I know it's a dumb question--but I don't want to damage my car by driving on bad brakes.

Will replacing the brake pads take care of it? And does anyone know how much that could potentially cost in the Wash. DC area????
post #7 of 8 Old 04-08-2004, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

You should get the brake pads replaced at the earliest opprotunity. Going to the dealer is expensive. You might shop the price at Mieneke, Midas, and some local shops.

2002 C230k, 6 speed, Jaspisblau, Charcoal Leather, C4, C5, C7, Euro COMAND

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #8 of 8 Old 04-08-2004, 07:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to jenniet01 Send a message via Yahoo to jenniet01
Brake repair info

Thanks for the response.

I found a place near my job in Dupont Circle called "Mercedes and Volvos" on 15th Street that claims to specialize in German cars. They said that my rear brakes are fine, but the front brake pads and sensors need replacing. They're charging $207 +tax which sounds good to me. If anyone in the DC area wants their info, send me a message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons