C230 K Instrument Cluster - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 08-24-2004, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
C230 K Instrument Cluster

One of the digits in my 2000 C230 K odometer is unreadable. The dealership has told me that to correct the problem the entire instrument cluster must be replaced (more than $1000 for parts and labor). Does anyone know of a fix to this problem that does not involve replacing the instrument cluster?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-24-2004, 09:02 PM

sorry to say but you have to replace the cluster. i haven't seen any repairs for this at work but to replace the cluster. if there is a fix, let me know.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-24-2004, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
C230 K Instrument Cluster

Thanks for your reply. I have a friend who had the same problem with his BMW – took it to the dealer and was told to replace the cluster also. He checked into it and, through a BMW forum, discovered a fix that involved changing just the LED bar for the odometer (this did not affect the odometer reading). He bought the part and did the work himself (snap in part) for less than $100. I was hoping someone out there might have done on their Benz. Let’s face it – even though Mercedes’ are great cars they sure are expensive to fix when something breaks. I find it absurd to have to pay $1000 to fix one digit in the odometer – ridiculous design if you ask me.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-25-2004, 08:38 AM

I've been at the dealer for years and years. We have never once, even under warranty, replaced just an LED bar. The whole cluster gets swapped no matter who is footing the bill. And while you're at it, why not pick up another $500.00 airmass meter, You may not need it now, but it'll happen soon enough.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons