2002 S500 STEERING VIBRATIONS @ AROUND 65 MPH - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-03-2004, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2002 S500 STEERING VIBRATIONS @ AROUND 65 MPH

CAR VIBRATES @ AROUND 60-70 MPH. ANY THOUGHTS ON WHY? HAVE HAD WHEELS BALANCED SEVERAL TIMES ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-03-2004, 04:50 PM

Make sure your wheels are being balanced on a Hunter 9700 machine. I've got one in my shop and it is spot on perfect everytime. Also, make sure the techs verify that you wheels are true and not out-of-round. It is possible that your brake rotors have an excessive amount of run-out which could cause a slight vibration. I've seen (only one) hub flanges coming from the factory with a slight amount of run out causing a weird vibration. It is also possible that the tires you have are inherently flawed or that they could have a "broken bead" (not really what it sounds like). It is unacceptable for your vehicle to exhibit such characteristics. If the dealership is unable to resolve the issue, I would recommend asking to have the shop foreman go on a test drive to verify the condition with you in a similar circumstance.

post #3 of 4 Old 04-18-2005, 06:44 PM

Hi!

I'm new to this forum. I'm from Malaysia and drive a year 2000 S280. I am facing the exact problems. THere's a vibration coming from the car around 60-70mph. It feels more like the whole car vibrates and is not isolated to the steering only. It disappears above 70mph.

Unfortuantely i'm not very well versed with the technical aspects so some terms used might be wrong. The initial diagnoses:

1. Tyre problem (balancing) - been thru 3 diff sets (Nankangs, Bridgestone SO3s, Conti CSC2). Problem still persists. Have had tyres balanced countless times by various renowned tyre workshops here. No discernible imperfections with tyres.

2. Rim Problem - I'm currently on Brabus 18" rims. Borrowed a friend's 17" OEM S Class rims but problem still persists.

3. Drive shaft bearing issue - they're all fine.

4. Long/Prop shaft problem: A brand new prop shaft costs around USD 3-4k here. It's kinda a very expensive test to see if that's a problem.

Any thoughts or inputs in this matter would be much appreciated.

Rgds,

Charlie

post #4 of 4 Old 05-02-2005, 08:23 AM

The best thing to do is to verify this with a representative from your MB service facility on a road test and then let them make their judgement based on their inspection.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons