Hey all! I’m new here. 2016 GLC300 owner - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 07-29-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hey all! I’m new here. 2016 GLC300 owner

I need some advice regarding towing with my GLC300. Looking to tow a 2500-2800 lb. horse trailer ( minus the horse). I’m converting it into a food truck. Can anyone share experience with me? Manufacturer says it can tow up to 3500lbs. with a 350lb. tongue weight. I really don’t want to hurt the transmission , axles or frame. Suggestions and or advice appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-29-2019, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 pano top, 2005 ML270cdi.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I need some advice regarding towing with my GLC300. Looking to tow a 2500-2800 lb. horse trailer ( minus the horse). I’m converting it into a food truck. Can anyone share experience with me? Manufacturer says it can tow up to 3500lbs. with a 350lb. tongue weight. I really don’t want to hurt the transmission , axles or frame. Suggestions and or advice appreciated, thanks!
As long as the trailer is balanced properly, that is with the weight evenly distributed over the axle/s, the car should easily pull 3000 lbs.
If the weight in the trailer is at the front it bears down on the tow bar pushing the rear suspension down and increasing rear tyre wear. Too much at the back of the trailer tries to lift the tow bar that can cause instability.

If the trailer has an inertia brake all the better, if not take it steady going downhills. Also fit a sturdy piece of chain from the trailer looped over the tow ball for security

No trees were harmed creating this message, however some electrons were very inconvenienced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Forums > Off Topic/New Member Introductions