Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Middle kid's first accident. In the '88 300E

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  el presidente 
#1 ·
Leaving beauty parlor after getting coiffed for Homecoming Prom. backing out of parking lot sideswipped a light pole. Bent the driver's door just aft of the door hinge and broke the mirror hinge. Kid home in tears, basket case, all her fault, never gonna drive again, etc. That's a pre-emptive strike and totally unfair. I didn't get a chance to blow my my top.

Instead I immediately fell into 'consoling Dad routine #4', where you tell them exactly the opposite of what you are actually thinking.

"No, honey, I'm not angry. I'm glad you're not hurt and nobody else is hurt." <I'd like to put a knot on your head and foot in yerass, myself!>

"You're a good driver." <Good God! The lightpole has been there 40 years! It was there when you parked, for goodness sake!>

"Yes, you can borrow my car tonight." <I have now given evidence that I have no spine and my mind is totally f**ked.>

Well, she's gotta pay for repairs herself, so that's probably just under $1,000 that she's slowly accumulated from hard work babysitting over nearly 4 years. We're getting her business cards to put in upscale health clubs and churches to get some more babysitting. She makes darned-good money at it--$10-$15/hr. Idle time is going to be hard to find.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks ya'll.

I bought that car because I wanted that kid in particular wrapped in a strong steel cage. She's a great kid, honor student, section leader and band VP in high school, etc. And she's had to work hard as heck for every bit of it. She had ADD since she was a toddler--it was obvious some strange things were going-on in her world. We started her on meds in the 3rd grade and she went from a child with no self-confidence and poor image of herself and bad grades to a high achiever. It was dramatic. We take her off the meds every weekend, holidays, and all summer. Unless she has tests, she often doesn't take meds during the week, either. She pretty much determines her own level of meds, with our understanding and supervision.

But, the meds are not fool-proof. Nature always designs a better fool. In her case, her mind drifts and her awareness fades under stress. Her coping mechanisms are getting better as she matures. I think she'll have no need of meds in the next few years. Driving can be stressful, so....I got her strong German steel.

I guess you can tell how proud of the kid I am.

Rib

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.