post #1 of 60 Old 08-26-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Vehicle: 300E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
300E LPG Turbo Project

Hi all,

This thread will be dedicated to my project long in the waiting. Alot of research. Alot of new ground work. A few performance forums attributed to get this far. An excellent workshop found also. Big thanks to Roman (Pumpish) who is nothing short of an inspiration with 300E's & their terribly under-rated performance potentials.

To begin with. Bought this 300E in January of this year from a disillusioned seller who had a pathetic workshop build the car. The poor workmanship & little knowledge put into the build led to the destruction of the performance built engine along with, most of the running gear including turbo. So. Most of the running gear needs to be replaced from scratch.

Hope this thread will be informative & maybe stir a little discussion for those interested in stretching the boundaries a bit

Purchased items & work to be done & recently commenced:

Running Gear
Low km M103 3.0L in VG cond' left stock 9.2:1 comp (aid in spool time)
GT3540R .84 A/R billet comp wheel; ceramic bearings (all lowering spool time)
Microtech MT8 timing only ECU
3" turbo back mandrel exhaust
Larger FMIC & fabricated mandrel aluminium piping to suit
Custom Inlet inc 3" bell end runners & Boxy Plenum
Custom Steampipe Exhaust Manifold with 45mm external wastegate
Reco'd 400 Mixer (older style is better) & Twin Vapour/Convertors & larger lines to suit
Rebuilt Trans with shift kit & 2300rpm stall convertor
New engine Mounts
New Trans Mount
New Behl Radiator & all hoses
New Front Flex Plate......will add later any other gear I've forgotten

Boost will begin @ 10psi, then 12, then hopefully 14

Will be installing LPG primer sensor & oil filter between engine & turbo

Looking realistically @ between 260-290rwkw depending on boost I run?

Decided to raise the boost in increments when we, eventually do get to tune car Initially do a run @ 10psi using a 45mm external wastegate then @ 15psi @ see how she fairs & what hp we can achieve @ this boost. As I've said before, hp will be down due to small turbine housing but the trade off is quicker low down response so I can live with that

Also the larger comp wheel ensure large volume of airflow & counter the back pressure anyway. All in the set up @ this stage.

Also @ this stage I think I'll call it a day @ 15psi for reliability purposes more than anything. The LPG will work in my advantage in this area with it's higher octane ability however, this hp will be a big enough shock I think for the stock car including running gear, brakes, suspension per se.

The MT8 has to be made up especially & will be a few weeks wait bugger it. Hopefully there is enough to be done in the meantime with fabrication anyway?

May try 20psi but only once I see how car handles the bolt-ons first?

Below are some pics of the car when I brought her home in January. It was running LPG set up with only 1 convertor. Running a Garrett T03 highflowed to T04 specs. Pretty stock exhaust manifold I think off a diesel? Not sure now. Exhaust was anywhere from 2/14"-3" ike a dogs breakfast. All looked good but it was destined to blow up.......it did!

Last edited by BAD300; 08-30-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 08-27-2010, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Please feel free to comment on, query anything I'm doing, ask why I'm doing something if your interested. Although my learning is pretty hardcore it has had to of been due to the mess the car was in & how hopeless things looked. I was faced with dumping the project but car as too luved & sadly bad decisions & ignorance was to blame for the waste of money & condition I received the car in.

From receiving dodgy engines to bad advice etc. I've come a long way. Very stressful but I believe worth it in the end.

Hey, if any member has some advice. Your more than welcome to give it. I've been tossing around plenty of information on particular forums & received just as much I must say

Cheers,
Tim.
post #3 of 60 Old 09-07-2010, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
considering a LSD off the Cosworth 2.3L 16V. It's a 3.27:1. Very strong & was imported by present owner from OS. Also comes with a kit to tighten it up. An expense I could do without @ this stage of the game but also a necessity sooner or later.

Just have to nut it over a little before I go ahead & purchase it.

Workshop is pretty slow @ present. Hopefully next week will see a bit done.

post #4 of 60 Old 11-01-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Just a bit of an update on my very near future plans:

Workshop will be mounting TB/Mixer underneath the custom Plenum, in the middle to ensure LPG vapour spreads evenly across all pots. If it was injected, he would have run it in front of first cylinder as was originally planned & what most have done also. LPG changes everything though I guess.

This means the tb will be upside down & feed downwards & then turns toward intercooler via a half-horse shoe bend.

Their still busy mind you the sods. Oh well, more time to put away for other stuff like the springs (all need replacing as they were cut by previous owner ) & possible brake upgrade? Will see how current set up works when I get to drive it though first. __________________

Planning out mods I want to do soon whilst I'm awaiting return of car from workshop along with mods I want to get stuck into once car comes home from workshop.

While I'm waiting I wanna remove grill from bonnet & paint it up satin black. If it looks the part then look at powder-coating it along with perhaps wheel centres? Also paint the boot strip holding rear license plate lights on matching satin black along with the boot star emblem.

First thing I want to definitely tackle once it's home is engine bay heat. This includes heat wrapping the inlet runners & custom extractors. Probably getting a Turbo blanket. Tastefully cutting into front bar & inserting mesh, painting mesh black. I want to avoid bonnet scoops to let air into bay as I don't want to draw attention at this stage.

Also. Looking at a set of 18 x 8" BBS lookalikes. Only reason is they are "brand new" being sold privately so, very tempting....hmmmmmm.....
post #5 of 60 Old 11-04-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Still deciding whether or not to cut out the front bar whilst waiting for workshop to finish (always something else pops up in life is would seem ) or leave it til' I get it home?

Decided against painting the bonnet grill black just yet. Will get this sandblastered & powder coated along with wheels once I've chosen the right ones (still considering the BBS style rims at the moment). So will be pretty much a waste of time messing with it now only to get it done right later Will probably have other parts to sandblast up ahead. You never know.

Still not overly eager to do too much cosmetic body work prior to vehicle inspection & rego.

Guess I'm really peeved at the time it's taking the workshop but, on a positive side, this gives me extra time to put away for expected expenses up ahead like brakes? struts? any electrical dramas that may arise when it's all said & done?
post #6 of 60 Old 11-14-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
These are the wheels I've been considering over last week. Well. Bought em hehe They are original German BBS RG2 18"x8.5" ET38 forged alloys weighing 9kg each It's so hard to find quality wheels with any sort of dish/lip for these cars down here.

Some bugger's stole my idea with the colour coding though (powder coating I have planned) Oh well, least it shows you how they will look off the car. Only difference is the tyres will be stretched on these to fit under guards. I have to flare them more somehow after it passes rego

Soon as I get em' delivered from Sydney I can send them along with grill & other stuff to be s/blastered & powder coated

post #7 of 60 Old 11-15-2010, 03:51 PM

Vehicle: 2005 C240
Where are you sending your stuff to be powder coated?
post #8 of 60 Old 11-15-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standalone Customs Inc View Post
Where are you sending your stuff to be powder coated?
oh sorry, I didn't realise sigature didn't have my location....will update!

I'm from Australia. Had you known, coulda saved you the post.....my mistake
post #9 of 60 Old 11-21-2010, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Very seriously considering going LPI.........yes.....liquid LPG injection

This workshop are the biggest DICKS I've ever encountered to this day!

Feedback

EDIT: I'm fast losing confidence in the LPG mixer set up. The expense of injection is the hardest bit to chew. I'm guessing I would have to go MS stand alone for EFI customisation? Any input into the dramas I will face? Again, this LPI is very expensive but delivers 'better' economy & 'more' power & is also rock solid reliable. Just the expense to consider

Other alternative is to convert it to EFI & run E85 fuel. Utilising MS stand alone. Setting up the proper fuel lines etc? This, I'm considering today.........

EDIT 2: In a nutshell.......Workshop have done very little except for excuses. This whole project is not something any workshop can pull outta their proverbial ass! They need to be very experienced in LPG set ups; turbocharging (with LPG of course) & have the machining/fabricating tools to boot! This is why I labour with these wankers

k......that said & outta the way........I have read the EFI for M103 threads but my 300E does NOT have the k-jet mech injection fitted. Was removed prior to last Ice Age. IF I go EFI, I can start (have to start) from scratch. I'm using the 4 speed auto trans. No flywheel to consider trigger wheel etc etc.....so, where it stands @ present......what will I need to consider to convert this car to EFI. Doesn't have to use M104 wiring loom etc. I can go MS & run any adaptive EFI gear/wiring loom etc.

PLS PLS help me out here guys. I want to steer this project around if I can @ this stage. I can start from scratch were the EFI is concerned. I don't have access to yards down here like in the US/EU etc.

Ideas

Also. Found this link below to a guy in Singapore that has an EBay site where he sells EFI kits/coponents inc trigger wheels, light weight pulleys etc. Some may find this interesting Go to 2nd last post & you'll see contact info

http://www.mybenz.org/zoopp/html/mod...=4488&forum=21

Last edited by BAD300; 11-21-2010 at 02:40 PM.
post #10 of 60 Old 11-22-2010, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
DONE! EFI on E85 it is haha...... no more bullshitting around with this stupid LPG mixer set up, just to have a friek

Probably source the custom fuel rail & few EFI bits from Singapore distributor. Seems very reliable. Kits are only for the M102 but, parts are still available for te M103 & coils etc can be got from MS. Will prolly run with MS ECU.......first time I've had piece with this car for months

P.S. In essence, this will provide me with the reliability I was aiming for. This workshop obviously lost interest but didn't have the guts to admit it to me instead, just farked me around like I'm dirt. Now I play the trombone MY WAY

Last edited by BAD300; 11-22-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Performance Pavilion