No start-PLEASE HELP!!! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-21-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation No start-PLEASE HELP!!!

Car has no start, can jump from SAM. Once started car is limp mode. I'm using a scanner called Icarsoft mbII for diagnostic. I had a general code of P1747, but the scanning of the EGS gives me a DTC of 008. I have changed the conductor plate, connector, checked for trans leaks, cleaned the EGS and connector on both ends. I did a live data stream and found that the Y3/6s1 starter lockout contact is closed, which is located on the conductor plate. I've checked all relays and fuses pertaining to starting, still no start. I've also noticed that my gears are not showing on the dash, when I jump it from the SAM. I've even tried resetting the EGS but the code comes right back.

Is there a starter lockout relay? Should I trying resetting with a different diagnostic machine or is it something else more serious? All comments and opinions are appreciated. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-21-2017, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 pano top, 2005 ML270cdi.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnell Luckie Jr. View Post
Car has no start, can jump from SAM. Once started car is limp mode. I'm using a scanner called Icarsoft mbII for diagnostic. I had a general code of P1747, but the scanning of the EGS gives me a DTC of 008. I have changed the conductor plate, connector, checked for trans leaks, cleaned the EGS and connector on both ends. I did a live data stream and found that the Y3/6s1 starter lockout contact is closed, which is located on the conductor plate. I've checked all relays and fuses pertaining to starting, still no start. I've also noticed that my gears are not showing on the dash, when I jump it from the SAM. I've even tried resetting the EGS but the code comes right back.

Is there a starter lockout relay? Should I trying resetting with a different diagnostic machine or is it something else more serious? All comments and opinions are appreciated. Thanks!!
It would help if we knew what model and year you are referring to!! Also in your user profile to give us your location as we are a Worldwide forum?

No trees were harmed creating this message, however some electrons were very inconvenienced.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-21-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Sorry about that. It's a W220 S430 and I'm located in Miami.

post #4 of 14 Old 05-22-2017, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 pano top, 2005 ML270cdi.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Sorry about that. It's a W220 S430 and I'm located in Miami.
Thanks for the update

If you can get the diagnostics read by the STAR SDS system. This will give you a very accurate assessment of what may be wrong. Any MB dealer will have STAR and many independent MB workshops also have STAR which will cost less than the dealer.
If Eric picks this up, he should be able to advise better than me

No trees were harmed creating this message, however some electrons were very inconvenienced.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-22-2017, 07:20 AM
R.I.P Always Remembered

Vehicle: Zotye 1.5T 2016 model
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Firstly one thing we never ever do is to jump start a Benz but you say jump start from the SAM, this worries me more. Sudden power to the SAM can destroy it. Why do you need to jump start it, bad battery?

Secondly you say the gear selection can not be viewed on the dash, this points to a confused signal between the selector mechanism and the EGS. Have you checked for transmission fluid in the EGS?

Also as @RedLiner points out a read out using SDS will put you nearer to a solution.

ERIC

Last edited by eric242340; 05-22-2017 at 07:22 AM.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-22-2017, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Sorry for the confusion. I'm able to start the car from the starter relay position, not jumpstarting. I've checked the EGS and there is no fluid that has wicked up there. No evidence of fluid on the trans connector either. Unable to start because live data is showing the Y3/6s1 starter lockout contact is closed and I've already changed the conductor plate. Prior to the no start the car would start and drive normal with an occasional soft limp mode and I would just shut the car off and restart and it would be back to normal. I'm thinking my diagnostic unit is not able to reset the transmission code which is enabling the start.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-22-2017, 08:50 AM
R.I.P Always Remembered

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. I'm able to start the car from the starter relay position, not jumpstarting. I've checked the EGS and there is no fluid that has wicked up there. No evidence of fluid on the trans connector either. Unable to start because live data is showing the Y3/6s1 starter lockout contact is closed and I've already changed the conductor plate. Prior to the no start the car would start and drive normal with an occasional soft limp mode and I would just shut the car off and restart and it would be back to normal. I'm thinking my diagnostic unit is not able to reset the transmission code which is enabling the start.
OK, I think you, seriously, need an SDS diagnostics check to find the real fault codes in order to avoid wasting more money changing parts that do not need changing. Once you have these codes serious diagnostics can begin. When you say starter relay position you do mean the key in the ignition turned to run?

ERIC
post #8 of 14 Old 05-22-2017, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
yes, key turned on.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-22-2017, 09:22 AM
R.I.P Always Remembered

Quote:
yes, key turned on.
Yes key turned to ignition and then turned to engine start? Sorry but this SAM jump bit has thrown me off a tad.

ERIC
post #10 of 14 Old 05-22-2017, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
key in the on position, the car will start from the starter relay location with pin 37 and 38, something to that nature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons > S class