Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2002 ML 320 that has been at the dealer 4 times with the same problem. Since they cannot duplicate it they are telling me that they cannot fix it. I feel it happens very often, but their service manager has been driving the car to/from work but cannot duplicate it.

The problem is that many times the car start to feel like it is going to turn off when you are stopped. Also, when you go to take off, you need to pump the gas pedal for it to go (feels like it is going to stall).

The car has 48K miles and I want this fixed before the warranty expires. Any suggestions on what it could be?

·
Registered
678 Posts
My suggestion is try another dealership. I'm not sure exactly what the service center you took it to did. Hopefully they looked for common problems (i.e. Mass sensor, Crank sensor, fuel pump) but who knows. If you take it to another dealership, they may approach it in a totally different way. The problem is, when you go back to the same dealership, they may give it right back to the same tech, who will just blow it out and say there's nothing wrong.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I think Zewerr's pretty right on on this one. A second opinion could be most beneficial. i would contact the service manager of the new dealer and explain your situation to them. Let them know you're dissatisfied with your current service department and would like to make a change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shop forman has been involved. He has even driven it between work and home a few times. I spoke to the service director and told him how unpleased I am that this is not fixed. Suggested to them that this is going to be a much bigger problem for them if my wife has an accident because of it. Long story short, I will be dropping it off a week from today, they are going to hook up some equipment to it and drive it until it happens.

It seems to happen when car is just starting being used. My wife said that is most often happens at a stop sign that is maybe 1/2 mile from the house.

zewerr: What do you think it may be?

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm thinking around fuel delivery. I can't remember what the cutoff point is for the updated fuel filter. Do you know if you have the updated fuel filter? Has the fuel pump every been replaced?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure about the updated fuel filter and the fuel pump has not been replaced.

When the shop foreman got involved and I explained what is was doing he said it was probably the fuel pump or filter, etc.

When they called me to let me know they could not duplicate the problem I asked if they replaced these items...well no because they could not duplicate the problem.

They have been paying enterprise for a loaner car every time I take it back. For what has been spent on rental cars they could probably already have replaced these items, but they prefer to pay for a rental rather than fix the problem. I hope to have better luck when I take it to them on Monday.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FINALLY IT HAPPENED

Well it finally happened when the service manager was driving it. At least now they believe what I have been saying.

He thinks it is water in the fuel??? I said that we have refilled that car up many times since the problem started and we still are having the problem. He said that in '98 they changed the fuel injector system and how it handles fuel not burned (maybe someone else can explain this better), but he thinks there is fuel/water in the lines and as you are stopping the water comes up the injector and the car hesitates. I really do not think this is the problem, but they suggested either having them completely remove all the fuel in tank, lines, etc (at a cost to me) or what the service manager suggested is running the "Dry Fuel (or gas)" stuff that allows the water and gas to mix thus allowing the car to burn it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I would drain it all and refill it. Make sure this is done under the assumption that if it does not fix the problem you should not have to pay. i would not mess around with additives where actual work should be done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. It is not fuel in the tank and they still cannot figure out what is wrong with it.

I have had it. Does anyone know of a corporate number I can call to see if I can get any action? Service advisor advised me that there is nothing else they can do.

·
Registered
678 Posts
That service advisor is a bonehead! If it's still under warranty, and they can't figure it out, they should be calling TAC and at least get authorization to start shotgunning parts at it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts