Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've only had the car for about a week (certified pre-owned) but when the roof is retracted, there is a odd odor that enters the cabin. :? No odor present when the roof is raised though. The odor is kind of like an old oiled canvas smell, or what old 90W gear oil smells like. Could the roof drains have become plugged at one time and what we are smelling is an old mildew odor. Dealer greased the rails but there is no odor from the compound they used. Can the roof drains be accessed from where they exit below the car where I could push some compressed air back through the drains, say 10psi or so?
FYI; The car has been a Southern California car all it's life
Any ideas here?

Thanks, Gary

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Seems weird, especially for a socal vehicle. If the car is certified, i would take it into the dealer and have the shop foreman verify the complaint with you while you are there. Clogged drains could be an issue, but it seems less likely given the location it has spent most of its life. This is not something I've seen before, but would be interested in knowing what they find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ROOF SMELL LOCATED

I have located the odor! As it turns out (after crawling through the entire cabin sniffing every nook and cranny) the odor is coming from the 1/8" thick gray colored membrane that is glued to the floor pan underneath the rear bench seat. This is not the sound/thermal barrier (1/2" thick) material. There must be some kind of chemical change in the membrane that has developed the odor. Again, this smells like old 90WT gear oil.
Apparently, when the roof is open, the air entering the cabin causes circulation to move down across the rear seat and forward into the driver/passenger area making the odor more noticeable. OK, what do I do about it? The car is still under "new car" factory warranty until Feb 06'. Should I have the dealer replace the membrane? I'm sure they will disagree with my assessment. If they refuse, I'll need to remove/replace the membrane myself. The sound/thermal barrier will be easy to aquire aftermarket, but what do I do about the membrane? Whould there be any problem if I omitted it all together? What is it's function? :?

Thanks,
Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts