Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just test drove a '05 C230 sport with auto transmission and liked the car a lot. I've been driving a stick shift for years and have grown tired of it, so I was considering the 5-speed auto instead of the 6-speed manual. The test car seemed to have pretty good acceleration and overall performance, but I wondered what other members thought of the auto transmission? I know the 6-speed would probably perform better, but do other auto owners still enjoy the car and feel it retains much of its sportiness? Does the manual mode on the auto restore some of the spirit of the manual transmission? Will the car get better resale if its auto or manual?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The car will have much better re-sale value with the auto. I had an automatic for a while and I feel the manual mode is a joke. It is way too slow and it doesn't stay in the gear you select. It will upshift despited what you want. It is also very slow to change gears when you move the lever.

I haven't drive a 1.8, but some feel the auto is mis-matched to the engine. However, if you find it acceptable during your test drive, I'm sure you will be happy with it in the long term.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lynn,

Are you sure you're talking about the auto transmission on the 2005 model? I just test drove it again tonight and tried out the shiftable automatic. It definitely did not upshift until I shifted. I brought the engine to the red line several times and the transmission did not shift itself. I actually thought it worked pretty well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"I just test drove a '05 C230 sport with auto transmission and liked the car a lot."

i have the automatic sport sedan and am completely happy with it. i have driven a manual for 16 years and this is my first auto in a long time. my driving habits have changed now that im 35 and expecting my first baby. but i agree with you and feel the car is just as fun to drive through the canyons and a blessing in traffic when driving through los angeles

·
Registered
125 Posts
C230 with the auto txn

Hi,

The C230 with the auto txn is a comfortable, perky machine, with a smooth engine and txn. You have to remember that it is NOT a typical, old-fashioned 3 speed or 4 speed torque converter type txn. The electronics are intuitive, in a way, 'remembering' your style of driving. When I drive from my house to the beer store, for example, that darned car shifted at the same places on the road grades I regularly travel. It will 'remember' your style of driving. Is it a crisp shifter.Maybe for the 05 but for the 03 it is a bit reluctant to shift manually if you are not uprevving appropriately. This is a good solid car and, I must say, I doubt we will see as good an automative package for the money for a long time in the future, if ever, judging by the promised front wheel drivers and so on for 06.
Enjoy it. By the way, I stuffed a completely assembled treadmill into the back of my rig, pushing the back seats down flat. Try that in some of these fancy machines which are often a lot bigger but have inadequate trunk space when you need to stuff something in there such as the treadmill or a mattress etc. Long live hatchbacks.

see ya

Al
:wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts