Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

05 E320 Cdi annoying idle vibration

9K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Noodles 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm the 'new' owner of a 2005 E320 cdi with only 81k on the clock, the car had some things wrong with it when I bought it and I've been going through and fixing them, so far I've done:

air filter
oil and oil filter change
diff oil change
new engine mounts
new transmission mount
new thermostat

The problem I'm having right now is the engine has a bad vibration at idle, in drive, park or neutral it makes no difference, it has all new mounts so I don't think its that. I took it to the local mercedes benz dealership here (before I did the transmission mount) and they told me it was the trans mount that was shot and was causing it.
However after putting a new mount on the vibration is still there.

It also has quite a big kick, when I switch the engine off.

I did some googling and the best explanation is either the alternator pulley is bad (it has some kind of damper or clutch in it?) or one of the fuel injectors is bad and at idle is injecting just the wrong amount of fuel, causing the vibration.
It does need a new serpentine belt, so I'll get that done and check the alternator pulley when I change it.

Can anyone help? If I knew the benz dealer could fix it I would take it back, but they seemed more interested in billing me for other things and washing my car than actually fixing the thing I brought it in for.

Thanks

Chris

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm the 'new' owner of a 2005 E320 cdi with only 81k on the clock, the car had some things wrong with it when I bought it and I've been going through and fixing them, so far I've done:

air filter
oil and oil filter change
diff oil change
new engine mounts
new transmission mount
new thermostat

The problem I'm having right now is the engine has a bad vibration at idle, in drive, park or neutral it makes no difference, it has all new mounts so I don't think its that. I took it to the local mercedes benz dealership here (before I did the transmission mount) and they told me it was the trans mount that was shot and was causing it.
However after putting a new mount on the vibration is still there.

It also has quite a big kick, when I switch the engine off.

I did some googling and the best explanation is either the alternator pulley is bad (it has some kind of damper or clutch in it?) or one of the fuel injectors is bad and at idle is injecting just the wrong amount of fuel, causing the vibration.
It does need a new serpentine belt, so I'll get that done and check the alternator pulley when I change it.

Can anyone help? If I knew the benz dealer could fix it I would take it back, but they seemed more interested in billing me for other things and washing my car than actually fixing the thing I brought it in for.

Thanks

Chris
post interesting. i like it

#4 ·
Chris: at 81 Kmi the car should be almost new and should not have needed eng/tranny mounts unless tampered with by an inexperienced mech - or I strongly recommend you locate a qualified dealership where they might find the fuel pump to be out-of-spec - a.k.a. a timing problem. This engine runs extremely smooth. Shut-off, likewise, is smooth/uneventful.

The CDI 648.961 engine is equipped with a sensitive diesel emissions system located on firewall. To safeguard it is imperative that you use Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 05-W40 MB-Approval (updated March 2017) 229.52. Repeat: Key words are ESP and 229.52!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.