Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done this job once with a friend/mechanic who showed me how. I did it a second time on a TD Wagon (82 or 83) to refresh my recollection of the job and to help out a friendly musician that lives nearby.

So, I am again refreshing my memory on this job.

Here is what I remember and what I don't quite remember:

Grab a gasket, undo the linkages, pull off the valve cover, crank the motor lightly to get the valves looking "up" (or turn the crankshaft with a lot of force to get the same result).

I have the three Hazet tools and remember how to adjust the valves. I also recall that it is better to err on the side of adjusting them a bit more open (more clearance) than the spec if there is any doubt.

It is the clearances that I don't recall, and I am uncertain as to the order of the exhaust/intake valves, though I suppose that I can figure out which are the exhaust by following the exhaust pipes that lead up clost to each valve.

If anyone knows the order of the intake/exhaust valves (just as a "check") and the clearances, that would be a help. I just remembered that the valve clearances are written on my frame and are temp dependent. thanks, this is a fun job.

My understanding is every 15K on the valve adjusting, and every 15K for fuel filters. I do my oil every 2K or so, a bit fanatic..you know how it is. lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very cool, thanks, brings back memories. I like the Mother's polish at the very end, though I use SemiChrome for my bicycle, etc...

For the car, it is KLASSE red bottle. cheers,

·
Registered
191 Posts
willy2004 said:
That is a nice 'SD as well, 409K.

Gotta love the mileage chart, lmao.
Thank you Willy. She has 463,000 on the clock now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is classic with the odomoter hitting 85mph at 400K :D

That is a good cruising speed...I drove mine out to Minnesota from California and found that 85 was about the highest comfortable speed.

Just to "do 100," I hit 100 mph going on Highway 10 out in the Palm Desert a few years ago.

There is nothing better than driving an 'SD across the country...the whistle of the engine, nothing better.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The toughest part of the valve job is putting that clip back on the back of one of the throttle connections. You know the one that I am talking about, the little black clip with the circular fitting. I ended up losing it somewhere on the ground and jerry rigged a paper clip for a temp fix.

The outside temp was about 15 C, engine was cold, but I opened the valves up to about .15 and .40. Better to err on the side of "more open" as I was taught...not sure at what point they become "too open."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts