Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New to this forum, I've been lurking around searching things and have come up with some questions. I'm looking at possibly purchasing an '87 190 DT. Here are my questions:
1. I would love to have a manual tranny but I have yet to see any of these in these MB diesels. I want a manual because every vehicle I've owned has one and I just like to have that control. My friend has an '82 240D and I think if it had an auto it would be much slower than it already is. So the question: should I give up on trying to find a manual?

2. How fast would this car be? I know it has considerably more hp and torque than the 240d which I've driven many times and would like to get up to speed and have a higher top end.

3. With the turbo, anyone have approximations for gas mileage?

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
584 Posts
I am assuming th "T" means turbo. I know the non-turbo 190D's were available in 5spd, but I am not sure about the turbos. The Turbos are rare enough, it would be pushing your luck to find one in manual transmission.

fuel economy: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/compx2003f.jsp

The car should be MUCH faster than your friend's 240D. Though I have no performance numbers, I have my doubts that you would be disappointed assuming that it is in proper tune.

·
154 Posts
I don't believe MB offered any passenger car turbodiesels with manual trannies from the factory. The 190 D 2.5 turbo is considered to be a highly desireable and fairly rare automobile here in North America, where I think only 2500 or so were actually imported in 1987. I'd personally love to locate one in solid condition. The car probably takes around 11-12 secs for 0-60 mph and possibly has a top speed of ~120mph--not too shabby for a car that can return up to mid-30's mpg figures.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts