Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at a 87 190 turbo diesel. This will be my first mb but I drive a diesel now. Anyone know the good and bad with this car?
thanks

·
Registered
584 Posts
Welcome to the list!

I can't say that I have any delings with the 190's (W201 chassis) since I am just too damn tall, but they are good little cars. I believe the engine in the 190D is an OM602 (I have read that the OM means oil motor referring to the diesel burning). My '93 has an OM602 turbo motor as well, but I believe that mine has some emissions updates.

The 602 motor is a good little workhorse, and relatively easy to work on. I know that the 603 engine of the same year (inmy '87 300d) had a recall for an emissions device called a "trap oxidizer", and I have to wonder if the same applies to the 190D in question.

Alldata does not show any recalls that would steer me away from the car, but check with you friendly local benz dealer to find out if the trap oxidizer was an issue. And on that note, I recommend to anybody looking at a used benz that they have a pre-purchase inspection done by a reputable benz dealer. The cost might be around a hundred bucks, but they know the issues with their cars and will often take care of any unaddressed recall issues for free, regardless of age.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. The car looks and runs good. I think it's worth the $2000.00 he is asking.

·
Registered
584 Posts
It will probably pay for itself in no time with the excellent fuel mileage (I understang 40 mpg is attainable). Post pics if/when you get it!

·
Registered
584 Posts
The '87 has the 603 (3.0 liter) engine, which I love outside having had to replace the cylinder head (with the upgraded head). The '93 has some nice conveniences (one-touch window roll-down and cotrolling the windows with the door key) and a nicer interior (wood trim and extra speakers). I think that if I had the 603 engine in the '93 it would be a great combo!

The 602(2.5L) in the W124 chassis is a bit underpowered IMHO, but I imagine that in a 190 (W201), it would be comparable if not better performance than my '87.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts