Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen

I have a question that I would appreciate a response to. Recently, I have purchased a 1988 190e 2.6. The car has less than 200,000 miles and from what I can tell was very well maintained for most of its former life. After taking it to my mechanic to sort out some problems I thought everthing was fine, but after driving it for a few days I can't but notice that the car has trouble staying at a constant idle. I think this is referred to was 'hunting'.

If I stop at an intersection or traffic light for a moment the 'hunting' is noticeable but not considerable. The problem becomes more dramatic if I am parking the car. Just after stopping and putting the automatic transmission into park, the idle goes from around 600 to 1000 and continues to do so for a while. My mechanic has talked to the person who previously serviced the car and has reported that the car has had this problem for some time.

From what I can gather from articles posted on the internet this problem can be caused by one of two things. Either there is an air leak or the idle speed control motor is not properly functioning. Can anybody tell me how to elivated this problem so I can go back to my mechanic and tell them how to fix it.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
78 Posts
88benz,
Welcome to Benzforum.com. I have read and heard of people removing the Idle Control Valve and cleaning it. Apparently, this has helped in some instances. I would also take a very close look at all hoses and vacumn lines in this area. I recently experienced a problem with a 1989 300e, where it would idle sometimes and others it would just go dead. The problem was a split on the bottom side of a rubber hose going to the idle control valve. Keep us posted on what you find.

Ken

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response. This thursday I am going to be taking the car back to my mechanic. I hope things go well. Once the problem is managed (I hope) I will write a detailed synopsis so that others might learn from my experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Air Leak

I had this problem with my 600SL. One mechanic told me it was just because it has 400bhp and doesn't like sitting at idle. I thought that was crap so I took it to another guy who found it was air getting into the intake manifold. Had to get new gaskets, air pipes and a couple of other things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts