Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1992 190E, 2.6 auto, 230,000 Trans went, shifting going into gear problems,foamy oil, etc. Got one a used one put it in & worked for 150 mi then stopped. Just acts like it is in neutral all the time. Car no Move. Checked linkage, fluid, all good. Figured I got a bad trans. Got a replacement and put that in. Car Still no move. It acts like it is in neutral just like the other one.

Any Ideas?

Does this car have a computer for the transmission? If so where is it. There is one wire going to the back of the trans, the shifter switch, 2 vacuum lines and the Kickdown cable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
No computer for transmission, so rule that out.

I would start by checking pressures @ the front pump and valve body test ports on the pass side. That way we can tell if you @ least have a pump that's working!

This is why used transmissions always worry me..you never know what you're getting :-/

Jonathan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I am still having a hard time believing that I would get 2 transmissions that would have the exact same issues. This one was in a car and working before it got pulled. I'll do some pressure testing

·
Registered
58 Posts
I find it odd as well..that's where the pressure test will answer a lot of questions:)

Jonathan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,
I have a Benz 190 (Silver-padded 1991 Model).
I reside in Nigeria.

The Benz recently over-heated, the temp got to 120*C from the usual 40-60*C.
The Technician replaced the water pump, but now it stays at 80*C instead of the previous 40-60*C range.

Tech-guy says I need to change the top-cylinder gasket because he suspects that if it is the one that came with the Engine, it might have gotten thin and may cause d over-heating problem.

1. Will replacing the top-cylinder gasket have any effect on the temperature control?
2. An air-conditioning unit has been installed on the car (but it has been bad due to faulty compressor unit; and it didnt come with a factory-fitted a/c). What specification of Compressor (magnetic) can I use that will not have much pull on the engine when operated.

Thanks, and I love my Benz 190

Tony.

·
Registered
58 Posts
80C is normal..40-60 was too cool, your thermostat had likely failed.

Tech guy is wrong on head gasket if you are only running 80C.

there are a number of ways to test for a faulty head gasket before diving in..pressure test, check coolant for hydrocarbons, check plugs for strange deposits or being overly clean, oil in water, water in oil etc..

Jonathan

·
Registered
5 Posts
40-60*C too cool?
I was thinking 80*C was high.
What happens if it goes above 80*C?

On inspection, No Hydrocarbons in coolant; No Oil in Water & No Water in Oil; and plugs remain somewhat brownish.

Then, I guess I better leave Gasket alone!
(If it ain't broken....Right?)

Any hints on Question on A/C?

·
Registered
58 Posts
80-100 is acceptable...depending on ambient conditions/AC on etc..

100-110 I'm getting nervous and will usually put the heat on in an effort to cool the engine.

Over 110 and I'll pull over, open the hood, shut down and run the heat on FULL till it cools down.

If you look @ your thermostat you'll see it's labeled 80C:)

Running proper temps you should notice improved fuel economy and your oil will not get so black/contaminated as quickly.

Jonathan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks a lot Jhod5ck

I saw this Thread:
"RE: Temperature guage reading??? What is the normal engine Temp?
From the symptoms that you describe, the most likely and probable cause of your engine running somewhat hotter than normal is a failed Viscous Fan Clutch.

Its very easy to check. Next time your engine's temperature is over 100C, open the hood and have someone shut-off the engine while you look at the Fan Clutch. If it continues to spin for more than 1-2 seconds after the engine shuts-off, your clutch is defective and should be replaced. If it stops spinning almost instantly its OK, and your problem lies elsewhere.

I'll bet you'll find that it will keep on spinning. "
http://mercedesforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1717&page=4

My fan seems to continue running even after the engine is shut off. I think it is magnetic.
Is it faulty?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello,
I have a Benz 190 (Silver-padded 1991 Model).
I reside in Nigeria.

The Benz recently over-heated, the temp got to 120*C from the usual 40-60*C.
The Technician replaced the water pump, but now it stays at 80*C instead of the previous 40-60*C range.

Tech-guy says I need to change the top-cylinder gasket because he suspects that if it is the one that came with the Engine, it might have gotten thin and may cause d over-heating problem.

1. Will replacing the top-cylinder gasket have any effect on the temperature control?
2. An air-conditioning unit has been installed on the car (but it has been bad due to faulty compressor unit; and it didnt come with a factory-fitted a/c). What specification of Compressor (magnetic) can I use that will not have much pull on the engine when operated.

Thanks, and I love my Benz 190

Tony.
Like jhodg5ck pointed out, your mechanic is wrong! 80C is perfectly ok, actually i will even go higher. Remember that a cool engine will run rich but too hot it will run lean, you want to be in between!
You need to run a pressure test and see if you get bubbles in your coolant tank as you pump air in the cylinder. Also check your oil for coolant and vice versa. Only if there is something wrong that you would want a head gasket job. If you do, you will need to do a little more than just replacing the gasket:
Replace worn valves
Replace all valve guides
May have to replace the camshaft (depending on wear)
Replace valve tappets
Replace chain, guides and tensioner
Replace head bolts and cam tower bolts if you messed with the camshaft.
Seat new valves.
Machine the head if it passes crack and warping tests

Do it right or step away from the problem!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts