Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a beautiful 1972 220D that has run great for years. It always took a bit to start especially when cold, but now it will not.

When I pull the starter the engine cranks over, but will not start. At first I thought the battery didn't have enough juice, and I put a new one in and it started 1st crank for a couple of days. Now with a fully charged battery it cranks vigorously, but wont turn over and start fully!?

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
c

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome! No I have not adjusted the valves ever?? The car ran great before this problem started, do you think that could be the issue?

Thanks

·
E=MB²
337 Posts
I'm not expert on diesels, but I do know they need frequent valve adjustments, and that the number one symptom of valves being out of adjustment is 'hard to start'.

·
Administrator
865 Posts
I've got and had lots of diesel vehicles (Not Mercedes though) and most no start problems are fuel related.
If your system is not self purging, bleed the system down to purge all air from the fuel lines. Also if your system has an electronic fuel shut off solenoid check that this is functioning correctly.
Injectors can get dirty but it's unusual for all not to spray correctly which would just result in rough running.
Again I don't know if your model has a timing chain or belt (I'm guessing chain) but timing belts can loosen and slip a tooth or two resulting in the injector pump delivering at the wrong time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
she started?

Gentlemen

Thanks for the help. I drained the battery twice trying to start her in the past so I decided to just try that again. After a solid minute of pulling on the starter she blew a nice cloud of black smoke and fired right up!?!?!

She has started multiple time since, first pull, no problem? It was a balmy 103 degrees here in Austin, TX and I know diesels like to run hot. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Im going to replace the fuel filter this weekend and consider it fixed?

I wold love to hear suggestions of what the deeper problem may be.

Thanks!

·
154 Posts
I'd definitely check the hand priming pump that sits on the side of the injection pump. This is a typical source that allows air into your fuel system.

As mentioned, you'll want to check and adjust the valve lash, at which time you can also determine the stretch factor for the timing chain. More stretch = more bad.

You'll also want to make sure the glow plugs are in top condition. If you still have the old loop-style plugs, you should opt for the newer pencil tips.

Let us know how it goes...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts