Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 1976 280 has been making some belt screeching noises in the last few weeks, getting progressively worse.

I was literally scheduled to take it into the dealership today to get a nice look over, but I guess it wasn't soon enough. While I was driving, the engine suddenly stopped (it seemed right as it shifted gears). I lost power steering and such, it switched to interior lights as if I hadn't started the car yet, and it went into ''neutral'' (although in drive) and I was able to pull to the side of the road.

Now, the engine turns over just fine but it doesn't ''catch'', doesn't start.

I ask here first because my nearest dealership is about a 2 hour drive. Any suggestions or ideas on what the problem may be?

Thanks,

Tyler

p.s. I am otherwise am amazed with my Mercedes. This car runs and looks superb for its age.

·
Registered
65 Posts
no start

Hi all,

My 1976 280 has been making some belt screeching noises in the last few weeks, getting progressively worse.

I was literally scheduled to take it into the dealership today to get a nice look over, but I guess it wasn't soon enough. While I was driving, the engine suddenly stopped (it seemed right as it shifted gears). I lost power steering and such, it switched to interior lights as if I hadn't started the car yet, and it went into ''neutral'' (although in drive) and I was able to pull to the side of the road.

Now, the engine turns over just fine but it doesn't ''catch'', doesn't start.

I ask here first because my nearest dealership is about a 2 hour drive. Any suggestions or ideas on what the problem may be?

Thanks, Didnt say whether car overheated if it got hot head gasket might have let go sorry about bad vibes good luck

Tyler

p.s. I am otherwise am amazed with my Mercedes. This car runs and looks superb for its age.
Didnt say if it got hot possible head gasket good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply and advice!

No, it hasn't been getting hot (although it fluctuated a lot about a year ago when I had an antifreeze leak [water pump]--because of get low on coolant, then add coolant, etc). Since it did the past, maybe the gasket would be a problem to look into.

I was able to find a shop locally to take it to; I think the belt problem is unrelated to the no-start.

When I get the car back, I will follow up here with what was wrong so others can benefit from it if they have similar problems.

Thanks again,

Tyler

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,

Sorry for the delayed follow up.

There was no spark present; the complete ignition system test turned up faulty ignition points.

$11 parts with a lot for than that for labor.

So as far as my knowledge goes, it was not belt related, though I had all of the belts replaced to get that taken care of.

Up and running with minimal problems again!

Tyler

1 - 7 of 7 Posts