Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car wont start after sitting 2+ years. It ran when it was parked. Seems to have good compression 150K Glow plugs seem to be working. Turns over good. Fuel at preasure lines to injectors, but not from return lines. Can anybody help me?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Diesel fuel that sits for a long time gets bacterial growth that clogs the lines. Best thing to do is to drain the fuel and change all of the filters. The next best thing to do is to just add a hefty dose of "diesel doctor" or similar ans well as changing the filters. It should start right up then. Be sure to run "diesel purge" through it or another injector cleaner after a couple of tanks. An "italian tune-up" might help too.

·
Registered
584 Posts
:lol:

Sorry. An "italian tuneup" is a way of flushing the injection system with clean fuel by keeping the car in a lower gear and running it hard, preferably under load, like up a hill at 4000+rpm.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Okay, I hate to admit this...but I've never actually tried an "italian tuneup". Can anyone please explain EXACTLY what this is, how it works, and what it's supposed to accomplish? Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 1980 300 CD that sat for an extended period of time and would not start. I did the following steps:

1. There is a manual pump for priming the Diesel located on the right side of the engine (as you are looking at it). It has a screw cap, unscrew the cap and pull up, then press down, repeat as needed to fill the clear fuel filter.
2. Locate the fuel lines at the engine, and loosen them all. A couple of turns with a wrench should do the trick.
3. If you have a battery charger, connect it to the battery.
4. Have someone turn and hold the key cranking the engine until you see fuel pouring from all the lines, yes it is messy.
5. Once you have fuel, and then stop cranking the engine.
6. Tighten the lines.
7. Before you attempt to crank the engine, cycle the glow plug relay several times. This is done by turning the key to the on position, wait for the glow plug light to go out, turn the key to off, and repeat. I usually do this 2-3 times on cold days or if the car has sat for more than a week.
8. Turn the key to start, and with a little luck and good fuel it should start.

Good luck I hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts