Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never owned or drivem a MB. I am look at one for myself and for my son to drive some. The car in the Subject has 199,000 on the OD. It has not been taken care of needs allot of TLC. My only concern is the transmission, when you slow down for a stop there is a pop noise of even a bang. I have heard work on this car is expensive.,

·
Registered
584 Posts
Expensive is very subjective to the quality of mechanic (and parts) you use. A good mechanic will fix things once and you won't have to worry about it for a good long while. A bad one can do a job cheaply, only to have it break in the near future.

That said, the 123 diesels such as the one you are looking at are excellent reliable cars and can absorb alot of neglect. However, they are cheap enough to find one in good condition that it is not worth the time trouble and money to pay somebody to fix a newly purchased car of that genre as it will quickly exceed the cost of a well kept one. In finding a mer-b diesel that has been well cared for, the simple maintenance will be very affordable and make your ownership experience much more enjoyable.

With respect to the transmission, these are very robust units but they do have an achilles heel. Namely, the b-2 piston that will crack and cause slipping between gears. There is an upgrade for this that is often neglected by repair shops during a rebuild. It should also be noted that a rebuild is not necessary for replacing this piston. My only guess is that the the popping and bang noises is the transmission (and possibly others) mount(s).

Good luck with the car hunt.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts