Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

So yesterday I get in my Benz and the weirddest thing happened.
My gas, oil, coolant and odometer gauges stop working and my brake lights no longer work!!!! I also have this very faint humming sound that is constatntly on except for when I put my signals on!!!

At first,:idea: I thought my alternator or battery were dead!! I came to this quick conclusion because I had this problem with an Accord I once owned. So I tested the alternator by removing the - wire on the battery, but the car kept running. And it is definitely not the battery as the car still runs fine. So I checked all the fuses in the car and they are all in perfect condition.

I then went throught the whole manual and nowhere does it say anything about the faint humming and it said that the battery light should come on if the battery is not being charged. So I am in a little bit of a dilemma and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what could possibly be wrong.

I contemplated taking it to Benz for a diagnostic, but do I really wanna pay $100 or maybe more for them to tell me that it's something simple like a light bulb or a wire? Not really, so here I am looking for some experts to help a fellow Benz owner out.

Any helpwould be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

·
Registered
7 Posts
$$$100$$$

I paid a $100 to get a dealer's guestimate and they said I have to pay another $10,000 more.

I don't know about the electrical problem you are describing, but you can see if you have a local Interstate Battery franchise who will run an electrical diagnostic for free.

"free" is the key word! lemme know what they say. :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know if you still need help (you posted 5 months ago), but I had the same problem in my '91 300E.

It turned out to be a fuse that I replaced myself (I bought a pack for $2).

·
Registered
678 Posts
Pull the cover behind the battery and you will find an overvoltage protection relay there with a fuse on top of it. Check that fuse. If it's blown, get a new relay. If that doesn't work, alot of times those relays still go bad even if that fuse isn't blown. It would really be up to you to decide to just throw a new one in, or have it properly diagnosed to make sure your not wasting the money. But it's probably a good starting point to at least check.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts