Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I would like to sell my deceased father's 1991 560 SEL. I am in Alaska. He drove it until he died in 2005, thereafter it sat in a garage unused. It needs a tune up and other things to repair and update items worn out from not using it and due to age.

Any suggestions on how to sell and what it might be worth. It starts and runs, but needs work as I said. It has some sun fading on one bumper.

Nice looking and nice driving car. Thanks for your help.

Kim K

·
Registered
6 Posts
Worth $20k+. The biggest threat is stale/contaminated gas, oil and other fluids like brakes, coolant, transmission, power steering, rear differential. Don't run the car until all have been flushed & changed. Even when they have, add Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) to the crankcase oil (substitute one quart, don't overfill) and change oil again after 300 miles. Also add the MMO to the gas tank (2 oz. per gallon), combined with Liqui Moly Valve Clean (also at a treat rate of 2 oz. per gallon). After driving for one tank, add one gallon lacquer thinner to 1/2 tank gas and drive at highway speed until empty. Check that the spark plugs and other ignition components are not past their mileage. Spray throttle body cleaner through the engine at idle speed; do the same with the PCV valve. Aside from an air filter, there is nothing else to "tune-up".

The tires should be replaced if they are more than seven years old if you plan on driving the car at highway speeds. Spray everything under the hood with food grade silicone to restore flexibility, prevent cracks, and improve appearance. Bumper faded? Rub it with mineral oil. After a thorough washing, polish paint with Nu Finish.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts