Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the caps and rotors and plugs and plug wires as well as all the hoses replaced on my 1994 SL500.It runs great but won't idle smoothly.It surges and acts like it will stall.If I put it in neutral it doesn't do this.I had it checked for a vacuum leak but it doesn't seem to have one.Any ideas?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The typical reply is mass air flow sensor, assuming you have one and I'm guessing you do. When they go bad or get dirty they confuse the fuel injection. I always has excellent luck cleaning them with brake cleaner, but you could use carb cleaner or alcohol. People say you can't have anything on them, even film from soap or carb cleaner, but I discovered that was BS. They also say they're too delicate to clean, aslo bs. Certainly too delicate to clean with a Q-tip, also bs... For several cars I had from I think '98-02? used a sensor the dealer wanted hundreds for, but I discovered it's the same VW used and those were like $25... Not sure if yours is the same, just some info that may help...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts