Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 e 320 with 135,000 miles on it. The problem is the reverse gear on the trans. When cold it seems to work ok. But as soon as it warms up, I put it in reverse wait a moment or 2 to feel it engage and attempt to back up. Problem is it dosent seem to go into reverse all the way. If I try to back up an incline it wont make it. But if it was 1st thing in the morning on a cold day it would work fine until it warmed up. The forward gears work fine all the time. The repair shop wants to put a remanufactured Benz tranny in it. This was diagnosed by checking the fluid and my information. I have read there is some problem with a vacum modulator in this model although it is not a diesel. The problem originally felt as though it was a vacum problem but that was a while ago and has steadily gotten worse. When it originally started and I would rev the engine slightly and the reverse gear would engage. Any info would be appreciated......Ed

·
Registered
11 Posts
RE: Tranny

Hi Ed,

Your repair shop is right, you need a new tranny. The remanufactured one is the way to go. The trannies are cheap enough that it just doesn't pay to have your current one rebuilt and 9 times out of 10 if it is rebuilt you'll have problems again (but not with the factory rebuilt one!).

--Frank

1 - 2 of 2 Posts