Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, sometimes when my 1996 C220 works on idle, and i press the accelerator pedal, a little black smoke can be seen from the muffler,
how do u think why is it happening? what is the problem??

and one more thing... when i turn on the AC, more black smoke comes out...

thanx

·
Registered
678 Posts
Black smoke usually equals rich. Many things can cause your car to run rich. Dirty air filter might be one of them. Does the engine seem to run ok?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
engine works very good! and when i press accelerator pedal car goes fast and smooth... very nice...

the only one thing is... i think it consumes more gasoline than it must... something like 15-16 liters / 100 km in city drive...

so? any ideas?

p.s. air filter is ok, and clean...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Well, common maintainance items are where to start (i.e. spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, etc.). If it doesn't improve, it'll probably have to be diagnosed properly.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it was diagnosed before i bought it, and the computer showed error something like that "engine doesnt work clear" (in my words)

then, what can be the problem?? :-(

one electrician/fuel injector guy said to me to come at wednesday, he will check everything and rewrite the program in the computer....

i understood it like, he will format everything, and write the program to the computer of the car again, how u think, would it help???? cuz i will pay money for it...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Sounds to me like he's just gonna reset mixture adaptions and see if that helps, which it will not. It sounds like he's just guessing. I'd try to find someone who's very familiar with these cars.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, so finally i took the car to one shop for diagnostics, payed 11$, and they checked it with computer and said, that my... dunno how to say it in english, aerometer... or air meter... is not working and needs to be changed, including air filter..

that air meter costs around 200$ (BOSCH), but i already ordered it from Dubai,UAE, for 120$...

in the shop, technicians said that after i replace it, problem will probably dissapear...

how do u think will it really help?

i hope my 120$ are not spent to no purpose...

thanks

·
Registered
678 Posts
A bad mass air flow sensor could definately cause a problem like that, and they do commonly go bad. So it could very well be your problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts