Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 1996 C220 with an obvious fuse problem. This car was taken to the shop about 2 months ago with transmission problems. After having another transmission installed, this problem began. The issue is the following: The fuse that is labeled for "dome lights, trunk lights, infrared remote, and central locking system, keeps blowing out. In turn, the vehicle will not start at all! I'm assuming that the problem lies in either the remote or the central locking sytem. I can disconnect the battery, wait a while and install a new 15amp fuse, and sometimes it works. However, once I get to my destination, the fuse blows out and the car will not turn on again. I can try to disconnect the battery and wait and retry a new fuse, but at this point, it just keeps blowing the fuse and never starts again. I seriously must buy a pack of fuses daily to try to get the vehicle started. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Or has anyone ever experienced this type of problem??? I would like to try and disable the central locking system, but I dont know if that's possible..anyone know how?? Any help would be appreciated...thanks all!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
There's something in that circuit that has shorted to ground and is causing an amperage surge and in turn blowing that fuse. The circuit itself needs to be checked out and have the short chased down. This is the kind of work only a dealer or very well resourced indy should tackle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
probably its the OCP fuse. it's just a short circuit! but this things will take a lot of your time like tracing the cables, removing of the panelling's, etc. if you're a good DIY'er you can give me your VIN and i'll provide you the wiring diagram. if you're not technically inclined better have it check with your techman.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Vin# is as follows: WDBHA22E1TF454181. Thanks for the help, hopefully i can find something this way. I'm still kinda wondering though if there is any actual way to disable the central locking system. I believe the short may be with that somewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts