Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i was driving fast my 1996 C220 on a road, and there was big level...around 0.5 meters of water... suddenly my car turned off....i couldnt start it anymore...

i opened the tube, with mass air flow meter, and saw some water there!

one man said to me that, water from air filter, could go inside the engine, and cause big problems!

is he right? if no, then what else can be there? if yes, then how bad problem can be?

thank you :cry:

·
Registered
678 Posts
If your engine tries to turn over, but is not able, you probably hydrolocked a cylinder or two. It's possible you may have bent a piston rod or crankshaft. It's also possible, it may not be damaged at all. Best thing to do is pull all the spark plugs. Turn the engine over several times and see if it ejects any water out of the plug holes. Hopefully the engine doesn't knock while it's turning over. If all seems good, dry up the plugs and reinstall them. Then do an oil and filter change to remove any water that entered the crankcase. Remove any residual water in the intake system and air cleaner. Replace the air filter if needed. Then fire up the engine and pray that it runs good and quietly. If it knocks loudly, shut it off right away, and save up for a new long block.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, took the car to the shop. they couldnt start it up. Mechanic opened the engine, and said that following parts are damaged:

3 connecting-rods
all valves!
rings of the pistons

some other parts weren't good also, but not due to water problem:

chain, track shoe of the chain

this mechanic will repair my engine, brand new connecting-rods are expencive, and valves also, so i will buy some used parts in good condition, we've counted everything and:

amount to buy needed parts (including oil, filter, and everything) makes up - 850$

money for job is 400$

so money needed to fully repair my engine is - 1250$

now i have some questions:

1. could the computer of my car be damaged also? same mechanic said to me NO, because when they were trying to start up car there was a spark on the spark plug, so electronics works, and... too hard for water to reach the computer.

2. this mechanic said to me that he will rebuild my engine, and it will work as good as brand new one. Do you beleive this? i saw many ppl who said "if engine is opened once...it will never work as good as new one" anothers say "if engine have been rebuilt by good mechanic it will work like brand new" what do you think about it?

and what do u think about price? how much would it cost u to make same job in USA? or some other country?

thanks alot!

·
Registered
678 Posts
It is possible for the MAF sensor to be damaged. They're very sensitive and don't like to even be looked at the wrong way. But I'd wait until the engine got rebuilt to see if it ran right, before you just go throw a new one on. The HFM control module is located in the module box on the right side of the engine compartment. For the most part, the box is pretty water proof, and it should be ok. In the U.S. this job can easily cost around $10,000. If you wanted to simply replace the long block, that would probably be about $15,000 for just the engine. So hopefully, the engine is rebuildable.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank u! 10k$ oh my god!! how good that it didnt happened to me in US :)

ok, and what do u think about my mechanic's words... that after his rebuilt my engine will work like brand new?

·
Registered
678 Posts
If they guy knows what the hell he's doing, it can be possible for the engine to run just fine. As long as he repairs or replaces anything that needed it. Puts it back together correctly, times everything correctly, it should run pretty damn well. Your engine is pretty bulletproof when it comes to not thowing water into it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts