Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 C220 with 130,000 miles. I have owned this car for the past six years and have been happy with it. It has experienced some wear and tear over that time and I am interested in trying to find the following parts:

Driver Visor with mirror. The plastic bracket on one side of mine broke and I would like to fix it.

Rear passenger side kick plate. For some reason the kids always got their feet caught while exiting. It eventually cracked.

After having it serviced a few months ago I noticed that if I did not turm on the climate control system their would be a constant whistling. Shortly thereafter the "E" light on the system came on and will not go out. I assume that this means there is something wrong with the compressor. How expensive is this to repair.

Any ideas on possible performance upgrades?

Thanks

·
Registered
678 Posts
The trim piece, I'd just get from the dealer. It's plastic, it shouldn't be too badly priced. The sunvisor I think would run you about $100 or so from the dealer, but it's new, it's the right color, it might be worth it. You would have to buy new airbag stickers and roadside sticker for it, but those are only a couple bucks. If you can find them in a junk yard, more power to ya!

If the E "Economy" button lights up and you didn't push it, it means theres a fault in the system somewhere, and would need to be diagnosed. Codes can be retrieved. There's really no telling what it could be. The whistling noise may be a nightmare. It could just be your blower motor maybe possibly going bad, or it could be just some fluke in the vents somewhere, and may be really hard to chase down!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If the E stays on, it indicates a fault, as Z said. Most often it is because the compressor will not kick on due to a low charge level. The whistling may be as simple as an incorrectly reinstalled particle filter cover. It also could be a nightmare as previously mentioned. As for performance upgrades, trade for C36/C43. You will spend a fortune to get that particular vehicle to a performance level that would even be deemed "adequate".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts