Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car in 2018 for $500. My daughter has driven it for 2 years with really only maintenance. All the motors and switches are wearing out. I want to pull out the seats and refit with manual controls!!! Wonder if Mustang seats could be made to fit!! Anyway...in the process of replacing fear window regulators. Ready to take a sawzall to the front seat! Or dynamite!

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you use dynamite please video it and post a link!
Otherwise I'd just fix or replace the switches, which seems much easier than replacing the seats. Motors are available used, or just take them apart and get them working again which is usually just brushes or a little oil on the bushings. If the motor or gearing is shot you can just adj the seat by hand via the cable or gear the motor was turning. After all, most people just adjust them to the right spot and leave it forever so that seems like the most reasonable idea. Moving fwd/back is all most people do if they do anything, so maybe just fix that one function.
If it's just the switch and you don't want to mess with them at all then you can activate them by shorting the switch in back, or it's wires.

Not that you'll need to in this case but when I have a switch that is prone to wear out from too much current, like some cars with the headlight switch on the turn signal lever, I'll put a relay or transistor in it. I mention that because if you do still need to adjust it often I'd use super tiny buttons or switches mounted somewhere, or in a tiny box, then those control the relays or transistors. I made one for my truck which had a teeny push button to start it and teeny toggle switches for ign, fuel pump, fans, AC etc. I mounted that on the dash since the box was so small, but of course you can put the box or switches wherever, including on the side of the seat. And motors don't always need to be the exact same one. It varies on how they're mounted and drive whatever they drive, but some random seat motors from the junkyard may work. My guess is you'll be able to find the right motors since lots of those cars are dead now.

Window motors are often the gearing, but if just a switch you can again do it manually or with a relay or transistor. Since it'll be controlled by the user you simply have to pay attention and stop the moment it's fully up/down or you'll likely break the gears, bend the linkage etc. Or a resettable breaker that's ok to move the window but the moment current goes up it pops.
And yes you can put mustang seats in. I've swapped seats before and it's best to take the tracks too, then you'll likely need to drill holes to mount them and possibly use spacers. Just try to get seats that don't sit any higher than what you have because lowering seats is a lot more work that raising them. Also be sure your mounting is solid because yo don't want it ripping out in an accident. Like getting hit from behind, you don't want the front bolts to rip out and now you're looking at the ceiling and can't reach the brake or steer, or see....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts