Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought my 2nd C230 today, a 1997 (have had an '06 for 3yrs). But I am having troubles getting the C230 started. I purchased at auction, so you never know history, but car looks great, has 100k miles and I purchased as a fixer upper since it didn't run when I bought it. Here is my problem:

When I turn the key, nothing at all happens, by nothing, I mean NOTHING, no clicks, no dimming of headlights, etc. Here is also what does and doesn't work.

*I have just installed a brand new battery.
*ALL fuses, engine compartment (left and right) and trunk have been looked over 4 times and are all good.
*Main cooling fan runs when ignition ignition is turned on, but nothing else.
*Instrument cluster does not light up-hazard lights all work propery and red triangle flashes.
*The interior lights, headlights, trunk, reverse, and all signal/hazard lights work fine.
*Horn works
*Central locking system works (all functions-manual with key, outside car, button inside, and trunk, red/green)
*Only one window control-pass. front-works, I hear click for all others in trunk fuse panel.
*Speedo/Tach Gauges do not light up.
*Radio doesn't turn on at all, no message on screen.

If anyone knows where I might find the holy grail of how to get this 97 C230 started, let me know. I'd love to be able to hear it run. Or, if you have any suggestions for any of the other items, I am all ears.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actron OBD-II 9175 code reader does not read any codes when hooked up and ignition turned on, there is a communications error. (The reader works fine on my other cars.)
Starter was removed and tested, operates fine. Wires look good.
All wires under dash panel looks fine.

What should I try next? Here is a short description of problem.

Has new battery, all central locking, headlights, and horn works. Insert key into ignition, turn, cooling fan comes on, turn to run, nothing at all. No beeps, no starter even attempting to crank.

Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
871 Posts
If you bought the car at auction It may not have the correct programme in the ignition key!

Is there is any history with the car e.g. is it a recovered stolen car?
New keys can be bought from eBay, they may fit the lock and turn, but they won't start the car. (DAS system)

I would start by checking out if the key is correctly programmed. to do this you will have to go to a Mercedes dealer and take proof of ownership of the car.

If Mercedes have to supply a new programmed key it may cost $200 plus.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts