Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im new here and i have a couple questions to anyone that can help me. Lately my 98 ML320 is making a ticking noise around my timing belt when i am at IDLE. I am also noticing that my IDLE is a little low, maybe around 600 RPM's, give or take. But the ticking noise goes away while im actually driving. But once i stop, it goes on again. People have been telling me it might be my timing belt and i might need to change my tensioner, belt, and water pump. Might the problem be anything else?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I can say with 100% certainty that there is no timing belt on your engine. You have a chain. It should not require any sort of service for a very long time. It is possible you're hearing the purge valve actuating. Without actually hearing the noise, it is difficult to say for sure what, if anything, is wrong. If it is a big concern for you, I would take it to the dealer and have them listen to the sound.

·
Registered
678 Posts
When you hear the noise check the purge valve, I believe it's next to your brake fluid reservior off the top of my head. touch it, you can hear and feel it clicking. If that's the noise, don't worry about it. It's normal. If it's relative to engine speed, you may have either excessive carbon in the combustion chambers or possibly noisy lifters or camshaft. In that case I'd take it in to get it fixed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts